Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questionable On-board Upgrades SCL-ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 8:10 am

It is certainly a weight and balance issue, and the passengers were likely NRSA. I'm surprised more people haven't seen this before.
It's fairly common on some routes (JNB-ATL springs to mind). Depending on the cargo load and location, a flight is often too nose heavy for take off so the easy solution is to move the NRSA's to the back and then put them back in front once airborne.

Before people get too jealous of NRSA's perk of occasionally being seated up front, there's also plenty of times where a flight will depart with 30 open seats and nonrevs will be left behind since the cargo load is too heavy to take a full passenger load. (And rightfully so, since the cargo is producing revenue) This can continue for a week or more on the same flight.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by kaigoss69
I was on this flight on 5/4. I was in EC (purchased EC) and there were approx 5-6 open seats in business class. After we took off the purser started pulling people into business class, but I question the methodology that was used in the selection process. For example, a young girl in front of me, couldn't have been more than 22, got upgraded, as well as two older ladies from the rear of the airplane. To me they just didn't look like frequent fliers, I don't know. My question is what criteria do they use and should I have said something or is it better to just shut up and avoid embarrassing myself in such situations? I am only silver, but some of those upgraded just didn't look like elites. Should I write a letter or should I just let it go?
Seriously? You are an FO in a paid EC seat on an international route. You are not entitled to any type of upgrade whatsoever.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by kaigoss69
It's just hard to stomach to sit there on that bone-hard seat, having given the airline all your loyalty over the years, and then having to watch "friends & family" of airline employees, who may not have even paid for the ticket, getting moved up front before the eyes of their loyal customers. Just doesn't sit right with me!
Old May 7, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, SPG
So I can put the speculation to rest. The girl and the old ladies were all NRSA and were originally put in coach for Weight and Balance. Then, were fortunate enough to be called up after takeoff.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal
I guess the part where three people, two from the back and one from EC make a difference on a wide body?
It happened to me back when I worked for United in Mexico City. I was the only nonrev and I didn't even get on because of weight and balance even though there were seats left, and I knew the ops guy. So 150-200 pounds can indeed be a deal breaker.

I've seen nonrevs get sent to Y for take-off and then move up front afterwards. I am sure they would rather get their assigned seat from the beggining too, but weight and balance calculations usually aren't to be messed with.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by pjpoker

Before people get too jealous of NRSA's perk of occasionally being seated up front, there's also plenty of times where a flight will depart with 30 open seats and nonrevs will be left behind since the cargo load is too heavy to take a full passenger load. (And rightfully so, since the cargo is producing revenue) This can continue for a week or more on the same flight.
I flew back 2 weekends ago from SCL. Flight had ~85 open seats in Y and 16 open in J. They cleared 6 NRSA into J and cut it off right before myself and a friend and loaded us and the rest in Y due to weight and balance. SCL-ATL is known to be seasonally one of the worst in the system with Cargo loads. There are days where the flight will leave with 60+ open seats and not board a single NRSA. Payload optimization flights can be a nightmare for nonrevs. I know of a lot of people who have been stuck for a week watching flights go out day after day with plenty of open seats. I only wish I was so lucky 2 weeks ago to have an FA move us up after takeoff but it didn't happen and we got to stare at the 10 open J seats the entire flight. It is just part of being a Nonrev, it can be quite difficult to travel standby nowadays and so many factors are working against you.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
I flew back 2 weekends ago from SCL. Flight had ~85 open seats in Y and 16 open in J. They cleared 6 NRSA into J and cut it off right before myself and a friend and loaded us and the rest in Y due to weight and balance. SCL-ATL is known to be seasonally one of the worst in the system with Cargo loads. There are days where the flight will leave with 60+ open seats and not board a single NRSA. Payload optimization flights can be a nightmare for nonrevs. I know of a lot of people who have been stuck for a week watching flights go out day after day with plenty of open seats. I only wish I was so lucky 2 weeks ago to have an FA move us up after takeoff but it didn't happen and we got to stare at the 10 open J seats the entire flight. It is just part of being a Nonrev, it can be quite difficult to travel standby nowadays and so many factors are working against you.
Would it have been considered improper for you to walk up after the seatbelt sign went off and discretely ask the purser if you could move up to an empty BE seat as a nonrev? FAs are supposedly allowed to upgrade nonrevs on board if doing so doesn't break any other rules, such as nonrev dress codes and young kids being moved up.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 7, 2013 at 11:49 am Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would it have been considered improper for you to walk up after the seatbelt sign went off and discretely ask the purser if you could move up to an empty BE seat as a nonrev? FAs are supposedly allowed to upgrade nonrevs oon board if doing so doesn't break any other rules, such as nonrev dress codes and young kids being moved up.
I think that it would be a little inappropriate as in our pass travel policy it clearly states to take your assigned seat and not complain about seat assignments. Had the FA came and told us we could move up or the gate agent told us that just for takeoff it is important and you can move up after it wouldn't be a problem....I don't think that that happens a lot as to many it may appear to be tacky or create posts like the OP posted being confused about who was moved up and why they were not, etc, etc. I think that a lot of the time though the weight and balance issues from South America can impact the entire flight - it's more a balance issue as the plane flies with the nose slightly up and if the heavy/dense cargo is loaded in the front pallets even as fuel is burned off the plane may still require more weight to be in the center or rear of the aircraft. Adding more weight in the front could potentially cost DL far more money as the plane wouldn't be flying in its most economical position and could burn more fuel than if more weight is distributed in the different zones throughout the cabin. I honestly wasn't pleased to be boarded in coach but the flight benefit is still amazing and I'm not going to complain or make a scene over being cleared into a seat on a flight. Had people behind us been cleared into business or moved up in front of us, that would have been a little more frustrating
Old May 7, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by bubbashow
If you want it badly enough, buy it. Nobody is telling you that you can't buy it. They are just saying you can't get it for free. Can't afford it? Sit in back.

NRSA is ALMOST ALWAYS the last to board.
^

Originally Posted by Denolloyd

Can someone please post a photo of what an FF looks like?

Thank you

Originally Posted by OHDL1
What part of the "weight and balance" posts didn't you understand?
^

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
So I can put the speculation to rest. The girl and the old ladies were all NRSA and were originally put in coach for Weight and Balance. Then, were fortunate enough to be called up after takeoff.
Lucky them, have been in the same situation and endured our aisle and middle home from EZE in "normal" Y.

It is just part of being a Nonrev, it can be quite difficult to travel standby nowadays and so many factors are working against you.
Very true...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FAs are supposedly allowed to upgrade nonrevs oon board if doing so doesn't break any other rules, such as nonrev dress codes and young kids being moved up.
What Dress Code?

I honestly wasn't pleased to be boarded in coach but the flight benefit is still amazing and I'm not going to complain or make a scene over being cleared into a seat on a flight. Had people behind us been cleared into business or moved up in front of us, that would have been a little more frustrating
Smart man!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.