FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK-SFO in J on UA's reconfigured p.s. plane
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:43 pm
nickab

Programs: UA 1K
JFK-SFO in J on UA's reconfigured p.s. plane

I figured I'd take a gander at writing up a trip report since I haven't been able to find a reconfigured p.s. trip report on FT yet. Please excuse the photo quality! I snapped these with a cell phone camera.

For context, here's a link to United's description of p.s. service, which does SFO-JFK-SFO and LAX-JFK-LAX:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...mservices.aspx

JFK-SFO UA560
2:35 p.m. - 5:54 p.m.

It was my first time at the JFK terminal 7 United Club. United Club access is complimentary for customers booked in business class on p.s. flights.

This was a pretty standard United Club. It had some decent views of the tarmac.

A sunny United Club

A British Airways 747 taxiing

A double espresso and a water

My seat, 5E, from behind

My seat from the front.

Pretty nice duvet and pillow -- very similar to what I got on the international BusinessFirst flights I've been on.

I asked for some sparkling wine as a pre-departure drink, but the picture came out blurry.

I've only been in PMUA business class seats before, so I'm not sure how similar these seats are to PMCO business class seats. At any rate, I'll post some of the things I noticed. Hard product is pretty important to me, because I'm tall -- 6'2". I was generally happy with the seat.

Each seat had some room to store things on the right hand side, along with power plugs and USB plugs.

IFE is also pretty important to me. They had a decent selection of content, but the interface felt jankier than the PMUA business class IFE. It was definitely usable, but it took a few minutes to get used to.

Good legroom in 5E. At 6'2", I was happy with the legroom both sitting and laying down. I read elsewhere that some seats have smaller footwells, but I wasn't able to snap a picture of that.

There were definitely some quirks on this flight that suggested the flight attendants were still getting used to the new equipment (or the system was messed up). We restarted the welcome video and safety video twice mid-way through, but it got all the way through on the 3rd try. As we were taxiing and at one point in the flight, the pre-recorded message saying "We're starting our final decent. Please make sure your seats are upright ..." started. It was quickly stopped, but I found it entertaining.

Hii Jeff Smisek!

Flight attendants came around with a basket of eye covers, earbuds, and toothbrushes.

The menu

I'm a little sad they got rid of the special napkins they used to have in the old configuration.

The napkins from my p.s. flight about a year ago in the old configuration.

To start-- warm nuts, gin and tonic, and water.

Tuna and smoked salmon. Not bad.

Beef -- also not bad.

The ice cream sundae

PMCO glassware

Extra lotions normally (I think?) only seen on international flights in business class.

Overall, a positive experience. The new seats are definitely an improvement over the old configuration. They're not as good as PMUA business class seats IMO, but they get the job done.

Last edited by nickab; Apr 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm