Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

JFK-SFO in J on UA's reconfigured p.s. plane

Old Apr 28, 13, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I figured I'd take a gander at writing up a trip report since I haven't been able to find a reconfigured p.s. trip report on FT yet. Please excuse the photo quality! I snapped these with a cell phone camera.

For context, here's a link to United's description of p.s. service, which does SFO-JFK-SFO and LAX-JFK-LAX:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...mservices.aspx

JFK-SFO UA560
2:35 p.m. - 5:54 p.m.

It was my first time at the JFK terminal 7 United Club. United Club access is complimentary for customers booked in business class on p.s. flights.

This was a pretty standard United Club. It had some decent views of the tarmac.

A sunny United Club

A British Airways 747 taxiing

A double espresso and a water

My seat, 5E, from behind

My seat from the front.

Pretty nice duvet and pillow -- very similar to what I got on the international BusinessFirst flights I've been on.

I asked for some sparkling wine as a pre-departure drink, but the picture came out blurry.

I've only been in PMUA business class seats before, so I'm not sure how similar these seats are to PMCO business class seats. At any rate, I'll post some of the things I noticed. Hard product is pretty important to me, because I'm tall -- 6'2". I was generally happy with the seat.

Each seat had some room to store things on the right hand side, along with power plugs and USB plugs.

IFE is also pretty important to me. They had a decent selection of content, but the interface felt jankier than the PMUA business class IFE. It was definitely usable, but it took a few minutes to get used to.

Good legroom in 5E. At 6'2", I was happy with the legroom both sitting and laying down. I read elsewhere that some seats have smaller footwells, but I wasn't able to snap a picture of that.

There were definitely some quirks on this flight that suggested the flight attendants were still getting used to the new equipment (or the system was messed up). We restarted the welcome video and safety video twice mid-way through, but it got all the way through on the 3rd try. As we were taxiing and at one point in the flight, the pre-recorded message saying "We're starting our final decent. Please make sure your seats are upright ..." started. It was quickly stopped, but I found it entertaining.

Hii Jeff Smisek!

Flight attendants came around with a basket of eye covers, earbuds, and toothbrushes.

The menu

I'm a little sad they got rid of the special napkins they used to have in the old configuration.

The napkins from my p.s. flight about a year ago in the old configuration.

To start-- warm nuts, gin and tonic, and water.

Tuna and smoked salmon. Not bad.

Beef -- also not bad.

The ice cream sundae

PMCO glassware

Extra lotions normally (I think?) only seen on international flights in business class.

Overall, a positive experience. The new seats are definitely an improvement over the old configuration. They're not as good as PMUA business class seats IMO, but they get the job done.

Last edited by nickab; Apr 28, 13 at 10:05 pm
Old Apr 28, 13, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Nice report Nick. I am in business LAX-JFK in a few weeks. Nice to get a little taste ahead of time.

After seeing the cabin would you have chosen a different seat location?

-SG
Old Apr 28, 13, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SGJazz View Post
Nice report Nick. I am in business LAX-JFK in a few weeks. Nice to get a little taste ahead of time.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SGJazz View Post
After seeing the cabin would you have chosen a different seat location?
For my seat preferences, I'd probably stick with 5E. I'd want something that's not behind another row, so I can get the larger footwell. I think 5AB are a little too exposed, since there's no bulkhead in front of them. My left arm was bumped once or twice, but that's the cost of an aisle seat.
1ABEF might be better if you want something a bit more quiet, since everyone walks past you when boarding in row 5. I didn't mind the people-watching.
Old Apr 28, 13, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Nice TR^

I like the PMCO BF hard product. Glad to see they're finally refurbishing the transcon.

No AVOD was a killer.
Old Apr 28, 13, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the good TR. I flew p.s. (old config) last week and it was sad to see the p.s. brand itself having basically disappeared (napkins, safety demo, menus, etc.). There was not a single announcement or branded aspect of the product to let you know that it was Premium Service.

As for AVOD, the CO system is a step up from the digEplayers of old p.s., but a step down from PMUA AVOD.
Old Apr 28, 13, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the report. The wine selection is pathetic. Canyon Road Cab as the red? ($6 retail - Geyser Peak's second label) PS? Pretty sorry.

So tell me, when the screen said "Please Wait," did you?
Old Apr 29, 13, 12:39 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
yes, the seat (such as controller, smoked-glass separator) looks the same as former CO equipment
(which I have taken several times, including just few days ago).
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
SFO-JFK

I took this plane in the opposite direction from SFO to JFK, and was impressed. I think the IFE monitors may have better resolutions than the PMCO 757/777 I have flown.

Nice seats and I was also in row 5 (seat A). The flight crew also experienced for the first time and had no problem with my request to take a slow panorama photo at the door 2L.^
Old Apr 29, 13, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
I flew p.s. (old config) last week and it was sad to see the p.s. brand itself having basically disappeared (napkins, safety demo, menus, etc.). There was not a single announcement or branded aspect of the product to let you know that it was Premium Service.
Yeah, it's a bummer. I think the little touches go far. The first time I flew it was after the signature p.s. cocktail disappeared. That would have been cool.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
So tell me, when the screen said "Please Wait," did you? :P
Haha, that I did.
Old Apr 30, 13, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
I just flew a 767-400 in "First/BF" I loved the IEF, the best UA has done, however, everything else about that flight was horrible, I'll be writing a TR on it soon.
Old Apr 30, 13, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Great report. I'm due to fly JFK-LAX-JFK next month in Y+ so this is a good sneak preview for me. Even though I'm a Gold MilagePlus, I can't get upgraded on PS flights (man do I hate that ).

I flew BF (when it was CO) a couple of years ago on EWR-LHR-EWR and loved it. Too bad UA hasn't really changed the meal to be more like an international meal.

-(cxny1090) I'm a Nick too!
Old May 3, 13, 10:54 pm

nice

looks like a great product. Looking forward to trying this
Old May 6, 13, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!!!! Isn't UA still allowed to taking a pictures? I wasn't sure about it. If there is no restrictions. If they ever change the rules. They have respect with those passengers. They're allow to take a pictures inside the aircraft.
Old May 6, 13, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Amazing TR!
Old Jun 24, 14, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Southwest
Seems nice. I like the sundae!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: