FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Claustrophobic flyer
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:57 pm
maltasr

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question Claustrophobia or SAD?

Originally Posted by texnormaker
I too have flown over 1M+ miles and just 2 months ago had to get off a flight just before they closed the doors. Never had the intense feelings of entrapment and confinement be so overwhelming. Always not enjoyed being in tunnels or elevators, but never to the point of being panic-ridden like that flight experience.

Since then, I forced myself to get on two, hour-long flights with the help of some Xanax. Almost didn't board, however. Once on board, I was just fine...it is now being in the waiting lounge/gate area and all the associated anticipatory anxiety that is really doing a number on me.

I have a Transatlantic, 10-hour flight coming up in the summer that I am really re-thinking. I do not want my children to see and 'episodes' for fear it will affect them too. I am not sure what to do about that planned vacation.

I have started to investigate different therapies and protocols....everything from NLP, Hypnosis, CBT, EFT, etc, etc. Not sure what will do the trick, however...I know that just trying to keep busy on a flight or in the gate area is a fragile strategy and not a long-term cure.

I will say eliminating caffeine and de-stressing (at work) has been helpful. Just not sure if it is the total solution.

Am all ears for others' suggestions.
I'm wondering if what you may be experiencing may be SAD (Social Affective Disorder) rather than claustrophobia? If this continues to be a problem, I'd see a professional and seek his/her advice. There are numerous psychotropic medications readily available to treat both disorders. I've experienced the same problems at times, but with the medicinal help I no longer experience the feeling of panic you've described. Good luck!

Last edited by maltasr; Apr 18, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reason: Additional information included