FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan transfer bonus discrimination!
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:09 pm
delanet

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by newbie elite
I have no proof or data for this assertion but I have to think that people who transfer MR to AE during bonus periods have a high correlation to people who route around Aeroplan scamcharges(YQ) therefore costing Aeroplan even more.

Also, Amex is the only churning game available in Canada (to my knowledge anyways) so they dole out the most points. Probably makes AE afraid
From my recollection, there was 25% bonus back at the end of 2011 where no one was excluded.

Then last year only MR Canada and not US was included

now this year none. Very frustrating this lack of favor. Surely its all income to them, if US air can make money on people sharing miles at 1.1 cents a piece a fail to see how Aeroplan is hurting so much when they have higher redemption rates and charge fuel on top!

That said amex bonuses in general seem to be on a bit of a decline both in frequency and richness of offers. Nothing on DL and 30% on BA last time round. Spose amex might be reducing what they pay on the back end to these partners so that my play into it.

Another thought is that Both BA and AE devalued their charts in 2011 so maybe they were trying to ameliorate that and the further we get from devaluation the less they feel they need to do. However BA did have a big transfer bonus just before the devaluation to avios too so the logic of this may not entirely hold.