Aeroplan transfer bonus discrimination!

Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Aeroplan transfer bonus discrimination!

So Aeroplan announced yet another conversion bonus where MR has been specifically excluded yet again. Why this lack of love?

http://www3.aeroplan.com/promotions/...&cid=000466001
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by delanet
So Aeroplan announced yet another conversion bonus where MR has been specifically excluded yet again. Why this lack of love?

http://www3.aeroplan.com/promotions/...&cid=000466001
Probably because they're not having any marketing issues getting people to convert MR to Aeroplan!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Perhaps the price American Express pays for Aeroplan miles in low, or the volume of transfers from American Express breaks their budget.

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2013 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:24 am

When I first received the email, the way the diagram looked it made me think it was a bonus for transferring Aeroplan miles OUT to partners. When I saw 1:1 SPG with a bonus, I almost broke my keyboard in half getting to the website. I was sorely disappointed when I realized it was the other way around
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:52 am

where do you see MR is excluded? I see it being included...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jan Gawdzik

Please note that although Membership Rewards® points from American Express Cardmember accounts may be converted into Aeroplan Miles, their conversion is not eligible for the bonus promotion.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jan Gawdzik

From the email link:

Please note that although Membership Rewards® points from American Express Cardmember accounts may be converted into Aeroplan Miles, their conversion is not eligible for the bonus promotion.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:20 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I have no proof or data for this assertion but I have to think that people who transfer MR to AE during bonus periods have a high correlation to people who route around Aeroplan scamcharges(YQ) therefore costing Aeroplan even more.

Also, Amex is the only churning game available in Canada (to my knowledge anyways) so they dole out the most points. Probably makes AE afraid
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by newbie elite
I have no proof or data for this assertion but I have to think that people who transfer MR to AE during bonus periods have a high correlation to people who route around Aeroplan scamcharges(YQ) therefore costing Aeroplan even more.

Also, Amex is the only churning game available in Canada (to my knowledge anyways) so they dole out the most points. Probably makes AE afraid
From my recollection, there was 25% bonus back at the end of 2011 where no one was excluded.

Then last year only MR Canada and not US was included

now this year none. Very frustrating this lack of favor. Surely its all income to them, if US air can make money on people sharing miles at 1.1 cents a piece a fail to see how Aeroplan is hurting so much when they have higher redemption rates and charge fuel on top!

That said amex bonuses in general seem to be on a bit of a decline both in frequency and richness of offers. Nothing on DL and 30% on BA last time round. Spose amex might be reducing what they pay on the back end to these partners so that my play into it.

Another thought is that Both BA and AE devalued their charts in 2011 so maybe they were trying to ameliorate that and the further we get from devaluation the less they feel they need to do. However BA did have a big transfer bonus just before the devaluation to avios too so the logic of this may not entirely hold.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

MR Canada was excluded in December 2012, MR US was excluded May 2012.

Had points sitting in MR waiting for a promo since last September, never happened.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by crimsona
MR Canada was excluded in December 2012, MR US was excluded May 2012.
I foolishly converted 50k MR points back in December along with 50k Starwood points, thinking I would be eligible for a 25k bonus. I didn't read the fine print ... found out the hard way, it cost me 15k in bonus points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.