FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:39 pm
blueheronNC

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mvarghese84
Booked a two night stay at the Umstead Hotel in Cary, NC in the lowest category room over this past weekend.

Upon arrival AmEx FHR benefits were noted and explained. 4 category upgrade was given (Executive Suite), $20 credit per person per day for breakfast at the restaurant, $100 food and dining credit applied, and 4pm late checkout granted.

Overall, a very excellent stay. The food at the restaurant (Herons) was delicious with excellent portions for the price. Service was prompt and very friendly. The one thing my wife and I noticed was they never said "no" to any of our requests. Room was very clean and in great condition. Wife loved the bed and the down pillows. Only negative would be the tiny bathtub. She is 5'6" 120lbs and barely fit in the tub.

I do recommend you stay here if you plan to travel to the Raleigh-Durham area.
Did you find that FHR only allowed you to book very high-category rooms at Umstead to begin with? It seems like their lowest category room on FHR is already the executive suite level (like 4 or 5 categories above the absolute lowest category at the hotel), with the next higher option being the One Bedroom Lakeview Balcony Suite, both a good chunk of change more than the deluxe room/non-suite/junior suite categories you can book normally via other means.

I'm staying here soon and just trying to justify the entry price to get FHR benefits at Umstead when I'll be paying a lot more, especially since their spa is currently closed...