FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:10 pm
makfan

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Your sysadmin should have been able to look at the message details to see what servers the email was routed through. This info can also help identify if it came from AA. If your company runs your email through a spam filtering service or appliance it also should also tell you which country the email came from which often helps give some piece of mind it is legit. Also, the reply to can be faked so be careful there.

Not to get too technical but it can be extremely hard to tell sometimes if a message is legit. If you are using a good external spam filter service it helps a lot.
I got caught up in a Eurostar snow/ice snafu a few years ago and had to buy a last minute BA ticket from CDG to LHR to meet up with my AA flight the next day. I got my train ticket back, the cost of the BA flight and some other compensation. Even though in the end I could have taken the Eurostar - the issue was they couldn't guarantee a seat and the flights were selling out so I bought something to guarantee I didn't miss my connection. That didn't void my right to compensation because I was still badly delayed. They sent me a cheque that time.