FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Breaking up with Marriott
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:06 pm
JamboAddick

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
The word "boycott" suggests punishment or protest. It's about consciously withholding business, typically as part of an organized effort, to do damage in support of a larger issue.

In the case of switching hotel loyalty, it's not really a boycott. We're just voting with our wallets. I'm not happy with Marriott's recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards or with the lack of breakfast at many FS properties on weekends. Ultimately, however, for me, Marriott still provides a more compelling case for loyalty than other brands. For others, that may not be the case.

Ultimately, Marriott has to do what it can to get the highest yield from each property.
This is my feeling exactly. I was partial to SPG until about 5 years ago and gave them up when their properties went downhill (or at least the ones I used most often). Now I'm likely going to hit Platinum for the first time this year and have had nothing but excellent experiences at the places I've stayed at around the world. And at the end of the day, good service, great locations and decent prices trump a one category increase in redemptions. I'm staying put.