FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do while in Bali - the good and what not to do
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:37 pm
Fizzer

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
[quote=Jaimito Cartero;20096512]Monkeys in Ulawatu almost seemed trained to steal glasses. Not so, in the Ubud Sacred Monkey Forest. QUOTE]

I agree 100%. No problems whatsoever at the Sacred Monkey Forest in Ubud.Lots of monkeys, all of whom were very placid.

Ulawatu was so, so different. I was advised to hold onto my glasses " because here there are very naughty monkeys" and I did ( most of the time). I let go for maybe 5 seconds to take a photo. In no time at all one jumped on my head from behind, grabbed my glasses and jumped into a tree overhanging a high cliff. Took a split second only I then had to watch ( hard because of my bad sight) while it chewed and bit pieces off the earpieces, nose pads and chewed on my lenses just out of arms reach. Saved by a tiny Balinese lady who normally sells peanuts to feed the monkeys, who without being asked climbed out onto the tree , where she spent a good 10 minutes persuading the little monster to exchange them for peanuts. I was worried and wishing she wasn't doing it because she was in a tree on thin branches, hundreds of feet up over the edge of the cliff and my conscience wouldn't be good if anything happened. Happily she got them back and I rewarded her because I was so relieved.
Ever since then I hate monkeys. They are evil, evil creatures

Last edited by Fizzer; Feb 7, 2013 at 10:42 pm