FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:07 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This change is OK for people with millions of SPG points, for those looking to maximize fewer points it's a 40% devaluation. All of my SPG award bookings so far have been C+P.
+1

Originally Posted by friedablass
I don't think everyone here will just leave the chain, it's just going to be more difficult to get a good value out of your points.
Leave chain - no. Reconsider SPG amex spend- yes. We have a lot of monthly spend, and we currently try to put as much as we can on SPG Amex. If SPG points drop in value (and C&P provides the best bang for the buck IMO) then we will consider other options such as the Chase cards that are incessantly touted by the BoardingArea bloggers.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I think it prudent to see if the universe of those available to redeem from actually expands and that can only begin when the new rules take effect. @:-)
Since when in the history of points programs has inventory increased? I have never seen this happen with saver inventory at airlines or hotel programs. SPG already offers better free night inventory than any other chain including Marriott and Hilton which claim to have no cap controls but in practice do so - Hilton simply marks up any room above the base room to an absurd point level.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I see absolutely no reason for optimism.