FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:10 am
ralfkrippner
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Quite disappointed about the substantial changes to cash&points. c&p was one of the highlights for spg and I judged spg to be one of the best programs around especially with c&p in mind.

Changes have to be made from time to time, but 25% is way over top, especially if you see it with the yearly inflation of moving hotels up in category.

Seems the changes at hotel programs are going the same way as the airlines programs now did for several years. Not much left of a loyality programm to keep good customers glued to your business. Everybody has to see if a program keeps offering worthwile benefits for him - I for myself now do my bookings for hotels in the same way as I do with airlines bookings for a while now: best location (best schedule) and best price. My reward: getting exactly the location and type of room I want instead of doing compromises because I want to keep to a hotels' or airlines' program restrictions.

I'm quite sure that in a few years airline and hotels will see that the ongoing "enhancements" destroyed loyality programs and everybody just uses the best tools in the web to get everything as cheap as possible.