FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Companion pass 2013-14
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:21 am
hindukid

Originally Posted by lkar
For generating currency to buy plane tickets, though, thank you points are still top of the list to me.
My problem though is that after generating 120K points to earn the companion pass I now have $2000 worth of points and free companion travel. So I basically never need to pay for airfare to cover my needs. I find that I can usually scrounge up some United miles for my international needs.

But I am interested in thank you points. What can I do with them? Buy other peoples tickets? Spend on car rentals? Spend on Discover America deals? Can you explain how you get 2.6% back. The info I am seeing is 1 point per dollar spent and each point is worth 1.33 cents in travel. So that is only 1.33% rebate.

Also I guess my other issue is that I feel we only get a limited amount of CC apps. So I like not to waste them. There are plenty of opportunities out there that are easily worth $500. So if one applies for a Citi card they are forgoing $500 worth of bonus elsewhere. I am effectively getting 1.8% back using the Amex Hilton. So I am theoretically losing .8% back. If I spend 20K per year then that is $160 per year. So it would take me a little over three years to make back the $500 lost CC bonus. Now I suppose if Citi wanted to convert my AA card that would be a different story.

Last edited by hindukid; Jan 5, 2013 at 9:38 am