FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Fees Coming on WN: Sale of BP slots at gate begins 12/20/2012
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:01 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I quite often will upgrade my company-provided or client-provided AT fare at the gate, at my own expense, to a BS fare, so offering unused BS fares at the gate is not new. On most of my routes, the cost is $16, but YMMV.
That is quite reasonable if you are A+. The points alone are usually worth $16.

Where I see this falling apart is if a non-EBCI buys a BS position and saves two rows of seats for the rest of the family bypassing all of the A's, A+ and EBCI in the process.

A more reasonable, but totally unlikely, solution is that A+ gets first shot at automatic upgrades (then A), just like the legacies have a FC upgrade list list. When the BS positions are full, there will now be a few open A positions that can be sold. EBCI should get first choice then everyone else. It is totally unworkable logistically, but the fair way to do it.

It would be easier if WN would just board by status. Once the BS boards, all A+ could board in order even if they were a late purchase or change that got a C BP. Then board the A's in order, continuing by group until everyone is on the plane. Those that bought the upgrade would be reassigned to their temporary new group.

Heck, when I am preboarding with an A-18, they could even sell my position.