Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Fees Coming on WN: Sale of BP slots at gate begins 12/20/2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Poster

According to this story, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BD0SY20121214, WN will be increasing third bag fees, raising some fees on Air Tran, and adding a fee for no-showing a flight.

Also, supposedly adding fees "tied to the sale of open and premium boading positions," whatever that means.

First and second checked bags remain free.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by zachary
According to this story, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BD0SY20121214, WN will be increasing third bag fees, raising some fees on Air Tran, and adding a fee for no-showing a flight.
I can't say I'm surprised; but, an increased fee on third bags won't impact most of us. However, "implement[ing] a no-show fee for restricted tickets that are not canceled by passengers prior to departure" would have more of an impact (although, if it literally means "departure," then it shouldn't be too bad).

Also, supposedly adding fees "tied to the sale of open and premium boading positions," whatever that means.
Well, it says "roll out new fees tied to the sale of open and premium boarding positions at airport gates" (emphasis added). Since it says "new fees," my guess is that they'll offer un-used BS fare (and, maybe A-List/A-List Preferred) boarding position for sale at the gate for a fee, which is probably smart. It would have to be more than EBCI though - maybe $20-$25?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:56 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

First and second checked bags remain free.
A no-show fee would be entirely fair. It would encourage me to avoid the few times that I no-show by forgetting to cancel. However it would also prevent me from delaying a decision on whether or not to travel until after the flight time. I do that sometimes.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FindAWay
my guess is that they'll offer un-used BS fare (and, maybe A-List/A-List Preferred) boarding position for sale at the gate for a fee, which is probably smart. It would have to be more than EBCI though - maybe $20-$25?
That's an interesting idea. So the GA would make an announcement selling unused A1-15 slots for $20-$25 maybe 15 minutes before boarding is to begin. That would slightly devalue A-List and A+, but not usually by much. I could see someone who purchased EBCI and got a high A boarding pass being upset, saying they would have paid $20-25 for a A1-15 position to begin with.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by nsx
A no-show fee would be entirely fair. It would encourage me to avoid the few times that I no-show by forgetting to cancel. However it would also prevent me from delaying a decision on whether or not to travel until after the flight time. I do that sometimes.
Yeah, will this be the end of the "flat tire rule" on WN?

How many people were booking a cheaper earlier flight and then just showing up for the later flight?

Also, now (and, really once the specific fees are announced), it is interesting to look back at this thread: Speculation-palooza: What new fees are coming next year
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 am

Dallas Morning News posted an article: Southwest Airlines plans to charge a fee to passengers who don’t cancel their tickets

Here's a quote (emphasis added):
Southwest executive vice president Bob Jordan, speaking at Southwest’s investor day Friday in New York, outlined what Southwest is planning:

“We have made the decision to tighten the flexibility around our most restrictive tickets. Specifically, we will implement a no-show fee for reuse of funds associated with restrictive tickets that are not flown and not cancelled by our passengers prior to flights.

“This should add ancillary revenue and promote customer behavior that allows us to sell the open seat prior to departure. So you have a double win there.

“We’re still working through the change. It’s complicated, and we’re working through the timing very carefully.

“But I’ll tell you this – we have made the decision to do it and this change will roll out in 2013. I’m just not ready to give you the exact date on it.”
Having the no-show fee essentially be a re-issue fee on the TTFs might not be be bad - it may (1) keep the flat tire rule alive and (2) make points bookings even more valuable since those points may still automatically be refunded.

Also, the article mentions an increase in EBCI fees to $12.50. (Edited to add specifics mentioned in this BusinessWeek article)

It goes into detail on the selling premium boarding positions at the gate item - that WN will offer available boarding positions in the A1-A15 BS group for a fee beginning in the first quarter of 2013.

Last edited by FindAWay; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by nsx
OK, I have to ask: if you wait until AFTER flight time haven't you made your decision (by default) already?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:18 pm

I found the presentation slides and a stream of the webcast here... is there a transcript of the presentation available anywhere?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sometimes even small fees in the $25-50 range discourage bad behavior. There's the legit flat tire and then there's the guy who doesn't bother to keep air in his tires and is simply habitually late. The latter guy is costing WN money and customer goodwill.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:12 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
OK, I have to ask: if you wait until AFTER flight time haven't you made your decision (by default) already?
With the flat tire rule I still have 2 hours to get to the airport and catch the next available flight.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:40 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FindAWay
we will implement a no-show fee for reuse of funds associated with restrictive tickets that are not flown and not cancelled by our passengers prior to flights.

....this change will roll out in 2013. I’m just not ready to give you the exact date on it.”
Southwest will need to announce this very soon if they want it to generate revenue in 2013. I don't believe they can charge this fee on any ticket purchased before the new policy is announced.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Since RR 2.0 I've done just enough flying to be an A-lister. That's it.

Math proves they DROVE AWAY (I can fly 1/2 the amount and less $ total to achieve A list and keep most of my flying with DL)business people and now WN needs more fees from leisure travelers.

WN is no longer a low fare airline, and no longer a good option. Just another airline with little to no real value for those of us who fly often.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest will need to announce this very soon if they want it to generate revenue in 2013. I don't believe they can charge this fee on any ticket purchased before the new policy is announced.
They can announce it anytime they want so long as it only applies to tickets issued after the announcement. Given that few people buy particularly far in adance, particularly on WN, if they announce it on February 1, it will probably pick up most WN travel by 2/15.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Often1
They can announce it anytime they want so long as it only applies to tickets issued after the announcement.
That sounds like an IT nightmare, which we know WN needs to avoid.

I think it more likely that a change in a rule like that will apply to all flights after a certain date.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by flyingweekly
WN is [...] no longer a good option.
This definitely depends on your routes. There are plenty of routes where WN is the only good option (practically anything in California, or Texas, or the Southwest US).

DL does a good job on their hourlyish CR7/CR9 shuttle flights between LA and SFO, but I've been stuck at LAX for a few hours when a flight or two gets cancelled. At WN, it's simply a matter of going to an OAK or SJC flight and I'm usually on my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.