FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:38 pm
joer1212

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As for Delta miles...

1. For most airlines (though again, I'm not familiar with Delta's program), you normally don't accrue the miles for the ticket purchase price. It's for the miles you fly.
2. SO this might actually be good news for you. Instead of hundreds of points for the ticket price, you stand to get thousands of miles for the distance you fly. (Of course, this depends on where you're based...many more miles if flying from the USA to Moscow, for instance, than if you're originating in Europe.) Typically (though with many exceptions and caveats), you accrue one mile to your airline account for each mile you fly in economy, and more if in business or first class.
3. BUT sometimes airline partners only give partial or even no miles for discount economy tickets. You'd want to check with DL to find out how many miles you'd accrue if you fly on Aeroflot. Best to know the booking code or at least the general type of air fare - discounted economy or full fare economy, for instance - in asking this question.
4. AND I imagine there's a small chance that buying via Travelocity could complicate matters even further, though I've never dealt with them so I am just guessing here.
You bring up a very good point. I forgot about being credited for actual miles flown, rather than the cost of the ticket (sorry, I'm kind of a newbie at this).
In this case, I should do well, (even if I am only credited 25% of miles flown) since I will be flying New York to Moscow!