FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by joer1212
I will be traveling to Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg) from May 5 to May 15, 2013.
I want to fly Aeroflot.
I was pleasantly surprised recently to find out that I can purchase a ticket directly from Aeroflot's website for the same price as the online discount agents, such as Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. I always like to buy direct, and eliminate the middle man as much as possible. The only thing is that I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card, which I can use to purchase my ticket through the Ultimate Rewards Mall and get 2 pts/$1 on flights bought on Travelocity.
What should I do?
Also, my credit card gives me 2X points for every dollar spent on flights; does this mean that I will get 2X points from my credit card plus another 2X points for purchasing my airline ticket through the UR Mall on Travelocity, for a total of 4X Ultimate Rewards points?
So, is my following calculation correct?

Option 1: purchase directly on Aeroflot's website= 2X points per dollar spent (cost of ticket is $734) using my CSP card= 1,468 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (I'm a member).

Option 2: purchase through Ultimate Rewards Mall on Travelocity= 4X points per dollar spent using CSP card= 2,936 Ultimate Rewards points, plus another 734 Delta Sky Miles (or less-- I'm not sure if I'll get credited at a 1:1 ratio if I purchase through a discount site).
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that actually neither calculation is correct. I believe you'd get 2x UR points simply for using your Sapphire card (regardless of whether you go through the UR mall or not) plus 1X UR points for going through the UR mall. That would mean your UR points would be 3X the cost of the ticket.

I didn't know that you'd get any Delta Sky Miles simply for purchasing the Delta ticket and don't know about DSM generally, so can't venture an opinion there.