FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Food" no longer needs to be declared into Australia
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
"Food" no longer needs to be declared into Australia

When filling out an Incoming Passenger Form last week to enter Australia I noticed that none of the questions actually asked if I was carrying "Food" as it did previously, but only certain types of food.

I asked about this at immigration the officer said "question 6", but when I shows him that it no longer said food even he was surprised! The form is dated 11/12 so I'm guessing it's only a new change.

The questions now ask if you have :

6. Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, fruit, vegetables?
7. Grains, seeds, bulbs, straw, nuts, plants, parts of plants, traditional medicines or herbs, wooden articles?
8. Animals, parts of animals, animal products including equipment, pet food, eggs, biologicals, specimens, birds, fish, insects, shells, bee products?

Previously question 6 was "Any food - includes dried, fresh, preserved, cooked, uncooked?"

Thus it seems if you just have generic food that is not one of the categories listed (including things like chocolate/candy/etc, biscuits, etc) then there should be no need to declare them.

There's a sample of the new form here.