"Food" no longer needs to be declared into Australia

Old Jan 3, 13, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 6andy6 View Post
Now I know strictly speaking its all cooked and would be okay...but as I have been told before. Declare it...it is 'their' job to decide if its okay...not mine.
This is pretty much the way to go. If you declare they will ask you a few questions sometimes to work out that you just declared anything. If you didn't declare and it looks like you should've that's when Border Security get their footage.
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
There's a "Notice" on these changes from the DAFF on their website where they state the reason for the change was :

The amendments reflect scientific advice on goods that pose an unacceptable level of risk.

The amendments will allow DAFF to better target and intercept goods that are a significant risk to Australia’s agriculture and environment, such as raw meat, seeds and fresh fruit and vegetables. The amendments will assist in enabling the more efficient clearance of increasing international passenger volumes while allowing DAFF to focus on targeting what matters most.
I still think the "dairy" part is at best confusing, and at worst outright wrong. It's being used as a noun, and according to my dictionary the noun definition of "dairy" is "A building, room, or establishment for the storage, processing, and distribution of milk and milk products." Now if anyone is actually bringing a "dairy" into the country, I think they have bigger problems than question 6 on the form...

If they actually mean any "dairy products" (products "Containing or made from milk") then they might as well left the original wording of "food" in there, as there aren't going to be too many food products that don't contain at least one of the items listed...

Last edited by docbert; Jan 3, 13 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 7, 13, 10:09 pm

I quizzed the guy at immigration on this a few weeks ago. His answer "cutbacks, can't check everything" so I guess it's fair to say they have become a bit less strict. Certainly the customs flow at Perth was much smoother this time. And quicker.
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Just declare any food - have it easily available - show it without hesitation. Most things will be "OK'd" and you are on your way.

Customs are very used to flights arriving (in particular) from the countries north of Oz with "no food" declarations and then they discover all manner of things. This takes time and pushes the tolerance of Customs guys.

If you have minimal luggage and no declarables, look out for the roving Customs guys in the baggage hall. They take the load off the guys at the exits and may be able to stamp your card and hasten your exit (ie by-pass the line ups for baggage x-rays).
Old Feb 2, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
So is chocolate considered diary?
Old Feb 7, 13, 4:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by og View Post
Just declare any food - have it easily available - show it without hesitation. Most things will be "OK'd" and you are on your way.

Customs are very used to flights arriving (in particular) from the countries north of Oz with "no food" declarations and then they discover all manner of things. This takes time and pushes the tolerance of Customs guys.

If you have minimal luggage and no declarables, look out for the roving Customs guys in the baggage hall. They take the load off the guys at the exits and may be able to stamp your card and hasten your exit (ie by-pass the line ups for baggage x-rays).
This is what I do - last year it was just a box of chocolates and some mints and they didn't even check what they were when I told them. Usually in a rush to get a domestic flight and don't want to get a full inspection.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: