FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:27 am
acregal

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Pickles
Fellas, it's all very simple. Mrs. Pickles and I have concluded years ago that the Japanese are the weirdest people in the planet. They have developed their own weird ways of doing things over centuries, and that's what they're like. Accept that fact, don't try to change it, realize that the collective neurosis that is Japan is part comedy, part anthropological field study, and just go with the flow. And thank god you're not one of them. Works wonders.
I agree with this advice completely.

I had an interesting experience today. I had to get on the JR Takarazuka line (where there was an accident 7 years ago - the building, complete with all sorts or damage, is still there) and, as the train was crowded, sat down in the priority seats, none of which were occupied by people in need (a bunch of HS kids and random adults). The train left the station and I started dozing off, only to hear the guy next to me start talking on his phone. This went on for a station or two and I was dozing off again. I was starting to get a bit confused as to whether or not I was on a farm on a train as the guy on the other side was chewing gum and smacking his lips like a cow. The guy on the other side took another phone call and then the woman across from me (who had been there the entire time) talk about how rude I was for sitting in the priority seats (and she was next to about 4 HS students). When I got off I told her that everyone could hear her and she was really rude.