Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"?

Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"?

Old Dec 28, 12, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
They use masks whenever they're falling ill or to prevent themselves from falling ill, but they don't use soap. Apparently not in schools for teachers as well. Something I will never ever understand.
Actually, they use hand sanitizers nowadays.
Old Dec 28, 12, 11:33 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
They use masks whenever they're falling ill or to prevent themselves from falling ill, but they don't use soap. Apparently not in schools for teachers as well. Something I will never ever understand.
Hmm. All the Japanese schools that I can remember had soap in the bathrooms and staff room. Usually on a spike or in a bag, like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk78000...0217/lightbox/
Every person carried a handkerchief. Noroviruses can survive for days on fabrics, so no shared towels. No paper towels either, which seems like a good lesson in not wasting paper ... until you read the statistics on how much paper Japan does waste.
Old Dec 28, 12, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
until you read the statistics on how much paper Japan does waste.
However, a lot of the paper does goes back into recycling & keeping the paper industry alive because of the uptight garbage laws on "paper day" of the week.
Old Dec 28, 12, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver/GE
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
Actually, they use hand sanitizers nowadays.
I wish we had a similar custom in the US. Those handy wipes at every restaurant and fast food place are convenient.
Old Dec 28, 12, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
However, a lot of the paper does goes back into recycling & keeping the paper industry alive because of the uptight garbage laws on "paper day" of the week.
Hmm. Perhaps I should have written "uses wastefully" rather than "wastes".
Old Jan 2, 13, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
All the Japanese cultural oddities seem normal and weirdly logical now that I have been coming here for 30 years on business.

Also, goinggoinggone is absolutely correct: You get a "Gaijin-Pass" for any perceived cultural slight or misdemeanor you commit, so don't worry so much.
I eat food on the street all the time, and nobody ever gives me a second look.
I do, however, always respect the no cell phone talking on public transportation or in restaurants rule, because I too believe that it is very rude and disrespectful behavior, so much so that when I am back in America and hear people talking on their cell phones in public, it now drives me crazy.
That being said I can turn on my portable hotspot in the subway and I will see within a few seconds someone connected to it.
Besides, I find it much easier to text people now.
Old Jan 2, 13, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Fellas, it's all very simple. Mrs. Pickles and I have concluded years ago that the Japanese are the weirdest people in the planet. They have developed their own weird ways of doing things over centuries, and that's what they're like. Accept that fact, don't try to change it, realize that the collective neurosis that is Japan is part comedy, part anthropological field study, and just go with the flow. And thank god you're not one of them. Works wonders.
I have accepted that and they learn to do these things based on how they think that things done by others are done.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:27 pm

"Went to 711 to pick up a snack. Told the cashier that I don't need a bag because I was going to eat it right away. She told me, please don't! This neighborhood doesn't like people eating and walking."

LOL, I was just in Japan, and whenever I went to a convenience store, they asked by if a needed a bag (they were leaning towards 'no'...you know, you live in Japan). But I was in Osaka, maybe it's different where you are.

Anyway, garbage tags, convenience bags...my advice to you: compare it to what may happen at home. People will be aggressive and confrontational sometimes to the point of violence. That will rarely happen in Japan. So take it for what it is. A difference in culture. Sure you may feel awkward at times but it's just a life experience.

Hope you have fun in Japan. And remember to wash off the soap before you go into the bath

Search this Thread
Search Engine: