FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:25 am
villox

Programs: UA GS
1K passenger "dictating" mechanical repairs

Last week I was on a United Express flight departing from ORD. We were informed at the gate that during preflight inspection the pilot had noticed a problem with the nosewheel tire and that it was going to have to be replaced, which would take about 45 minutes.

It actually took about an hour and a half. We were boarded. As we were about to depart, the FA came on and said that she had some bad news - there was something they needed to check with the repair and they couldn't do it without us deplaning.

Back at the counter, a fellow passenger could be overheard telling the gate agent that he wanted someone to "double-check" the repair this time. He was very insistent, and said "I'm a 1K passenger so it's not like I don't fly all the time" lest we think he was just being a worried novice.

When we were ready to board again about an hour later, the passenger again went to the counter, where there was a new gate agent as well as a supervisor. He was even more adamant this time, questioning whether someone who hadn't been involved with the original repair had signed off on this repair. The supervisor said there were 3 mechanics down there, and there had been a shift change so there are now new mechanics, and both they and the pilot had accepted the repair.

Mr. 1K then asked if a maintenance supervisor had signed off on the repair and the gate supervisor said this was not required. He said "I'd like you to call a supervisor and have them sign off on the repair. I'm a 1K so it's not like I don't travel often, this is a valid concern." The supervisor was very professional and said that it is simply not required and the crew is accepting the repair. Right then the boarding commenced (and of course, the 1K, assuming he was the most important and/or only 1K on the plane, butted in front of me to board first)

As he walked down the jetway I could overhear him calling United and asking them to make a "notation in the record" that he had requested additional signoff on the repair. Upon landing (safely of course) he started talking to the pilot again about the same thing. He told the pilot that he thought a maintenance supervisor should have signed off on the repair. The pilot said a supervisor actually HAD signed off on it and next time maybe he shouldn't talk about operations with the gate agent.

At all points I thought the employees were very professional. At all points I thought this passenger was completely ridiculous.

For the record, the redo on the repair had to do with a serial number not matching. The wheel was the right kind but when they went to check the paperwork they noticed the serial number did not match and though they could have dealt with the discrepancy later they decided to simply replace it again so that everything matched. This, to me, is evidence of them being incredibly thorough with maintenance.

I wrote United because I fear this passenger might have complained about his treatment and thought they should know both sides. I wasn't asking for or expecting compensation but they gave me 7k miles anyway.