FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Insurance coverage
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:49 pm
simba8

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Much discussion on FT regarding if this would be fair compensation or not.. on one hand you're covered for the change fee, and you also have value on hand that you may or may not use..

I suppose you may be entitled to a claim if you end up not using the credit after 12 months..
I have to come back to this issue- since I brought up 12 months ago (little OT as it was not booked on ae points)
ticket was booked on td infinite $1000 (int.flight)
had an medical emergency the week before the flight.
td canceled the flight, and issued me chq for $250(a month later) for the change fee as I now had a credit with the airline which is good for one year from the time of the original booking (not happy about this but o.k better than nothing) .They did mention that if I did not use the credit with the airline they would pay out the difference between the cost of the flight, and the chq I received from the change fee to a max of $1000.
Almost all insurances have a 180 days for pre existing medical exclusion for their policies so traveling was obviously going to be limited for a time (even though I did find and end up buying another policy with a 90 day exclusion).
At the 1 year, + 1 day mark, I gave them a call and reminded them about my file, and informed them that I did not use my credit with the airline and would like to the chq for the difference I was now owed.
Took them another month to process , but they did issue my a chq.
My point: Although the insurance was there when I needed it, TD seems to take a heck of long time compared to amex/rbc/cibc.

As for AE
National Bank of Canada Platinum had coverage for flights that were partially payed via the credit card and points:
http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/files/bncpdf/e...ce_platine.pdf
Certificate is at the bottom of the page...

Ticket: "Means evidence of fare paid for travel on a common carrier, at least a
portion of the cost of which has been charged to the cardholder’s
account."

Im assuming that should be sufficient for flights booked with AE