FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just hit 60,000 points... help planning a coast-to-coast trip
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:31 pm
romlevy

Thank you all for the great replies!!
I think I need to first get a little more familiar with all the route names (thankfully the Amtrak website has a good interactive route atlas).

I like the ideas of doing the flight first and then an West-to-East route... as well as the suggestions to break the trip into 2 and either spend a few more points or downgrade to a roomette for portion of the trip, such that we can get a stopover at a "zone border" town.

As far as routes and maximizing/minimizing times... I'm not trying to really go anywhere other than spend some relaxing time and see amazing scenery, so if anything I'd be up for taking a *longer* route if it maximizes the enjoyment.

Based on what I'm reading, right now to optimize around the scenery I'm leaning towards starting in Seattle, taking the Coast Starlight, then Zephyr, then Capitol Limited, and Northeast back to Boston...
but I'm still fairly undecided between Empire Builder, Zephyr, or even SW Chief (if I get the names right).

I will keep you posted!

Last edited by romlevy; Nov 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm Reason: typo