Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just hit 60,000 points... help planning a coast-to-coast trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just hit 60,000 points... help planning a coast-to-coast trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by jec6613
Buried in Amtrak's annual report, where else? They're pretty tight lipped (not being publically traded, they don't have to report every single detail), but you can find some information here and there - their analysis of underperforming LD routes, for instance, gives information, which can be extrapolated and matched to ridership figures. And, "Approaching," is still a relative term, basically meaning that they're not hemorrhaging money, but with ridership increasing and fare buckets going up and up because of it, it won't take forever before some LD routes may make money for the first time in the history of Amtrak.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the publicly released information suggests exactly the opposite. For FY2012 (12 months ending 9/30/12), the long distance trains lost $575 million on total revenue of $557 million. The LD trains lost more money than they received in revenue. The LD trains are nowhere near breaking even.

September 2012 Monthly Report
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the publicly released information suggests exactly the opposite. For FY2012 (12 months ending 9/30/12), the long distance trains lost $575 million on total revenue of $557 million. The LD trains lost more money than they received in revenue. The LD trains are nowhere near breaking even.[/URL]
LD as a whole has about 50% cost recovery, but individual routes can be over 90% (Auto Train) while others are below 20% (Cardinal). I didn't say the whole thing was break even, only certain routes approaching 100% cost recovery.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by jec6613
LD as a whole has about 50% cost recovery, but individual routes can be over 90% (Auto Train) while others are below 20% (Cardinal). I didn't say the whole thing was break even, only certain routes approaching 100% cost recovery.
In FY2012, the best cost recovery was the Auto Train, but it was 70%, not 90% ($69.9 million revenue with $99.2 million expense). After the Auto Train, the next best cost recovery was the Empire Builder at 53%. Currently, no Amtrak long distance trains come close to covering costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.