FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Press conference 14.11.2012
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:09 am
Kallio

Originally Posted by intuition
OK, here are a few numbers.

Since AY depends heavily on transit pax to asia, I wanted to analyse the total points earned.

To me the programme is clearly shifting focus from business class pax to econ travellers (both "Basic" and "Value" ).
Intra scandinavian business pax is very clearly "punished" and the long routes (SIN and japan) also awards less points in business.
To me the only long-haul destinations that have lower points in business are SIN, BKK and ICN (very slightly). Japanese destinations get more points. Scandinavia is indeed slightly "punished" and so is Southern Europe. But Western/Central Europe, Russia and Baltics get increases or stay the same.

It is clear that the focus in improvements is in economy travelers, but AY Plus has been known to be bad program for those travelling in economy so I think it is warranted. I for one had already decided that I'll switch to another OW program, but now it looks like staying with AY Plus is still possibility. Of course those paying for biz tickets should be rewarded more, but the new system looks more balanced. I guess that change where everybody wins is just too expensive at the moment.