Press conference 14.11.2012

Old Nov 7, 12, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Press conference 14.11.2012

AY is to give a press conference on 14.11. informing on plans for the near future, which will include changes in buying tickets, Finnair Plus and food offerings.... Excited to hear what their plans are, any one with inside info on this? Buying tickets was already mentioned somewhere, meaning less price catgories and cahnges in what you earn for AY Plus.
Old Nov 7, 12, 11:57 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by sakari1707 View Post
AY is to give a press conference on 14.11. informing on plans for the near future, which will include changes in buying tickets, Finnair Plus and food offerings.... Excited to hear what their plans are, any one with inside info on this? Buying tickets was already mentioned somewhere, meaning less price catgories and cahnges in what you earn for AY Plus.
Interesting. Last spring I participated in a very long survey re: services and offerings in long-haul business class (should we get PJs? etc.). I am interested to see how people's reactions and wishes have been taken into account. If they really will have a press conference about this, let it be improvement...
Old Nov 8, 12, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
What is the source (I usually get invitations to all press events, didn't get this one)?

And yes, it will be interesting.
Old Nov 8, 12, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Lets have some fun and speculate

I think:

a) 25% Plus Points-category gets removed from AY metal, slight increase in thresholds to compensate, or a AY metal requirement for status, or even a new "tier point" category
b) On-board catering will be enhanced by giving passengers more to choose from the buy on board-menu (that is: no more free stuff, not even coffee)
c) Still no reasonably priced 1-way tickets
d) FlyBe will be flying more and more intra-European routes, as does Smartlynx
e) (I'm actually quite certain of this), due to overwhelmingly positive feedback, the MAN J-service will be the new norm on all short haul business service(thanks to customer feedback, of course)

Will be interesting to see, what actually happens. This was 100% speculative, but speculation is always fun, please participate!
Old Nov 8, 12, 2:34 am

Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
Originally Posted by dera View Post
a) 25% Plus Points-category gets removed from AY metal
To zero.

I cant imagine they would give 50% for longhaul tickets like 450-600€.
Old Nov 8, 12, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
To zero.

I cant imagine they would give 50% for longhaul tickets like 450-600€.
With the current earn/burn ratio, 25% is just as good as zero You'll never earn status, nor anything useable just from flying discount economy.
(Yes I know, go for segments... )

Come on OH-LGG, you must have some insider knowledge about this, you must've overheard crew rumours on all that time spent between HEL and ARN?
Old Nov 8, 12, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Will be interesting to see, what actually happens. This was 100% speculative, but speculation is always fun, please participate!
Absolutely! Here is my mix of fears, hopes and analysis:

a) 25%-category removed (SK copy cat) but some fare classes will earn 0%
b) "New" business-campaign fare class on longhaul traffic - earns only 125%
c) Flybe operated flights introducing "seat-only"-model. Low prices, no service/luggage/points/refunds/et.c.
d) Flybe operated flights turning into some hybrid one-class model. Transiting LH J-pax may get seated infront and/or get food-vouchers
e) changes in segment requirements for tiers, making it a little less impossible for Finns to achieve status
f) Introducing One-up-bidding model for upgrades on AY L/H

Actually, that was mostly fears. Personally the current AY+ programme, service concepts and pricing structure is fine for me. I cannot forsee any changes that would increase AY's attractiveness to me. (That's just me, and I realise that my travelpattern and behaviour is not the norm)

PS

I think:

e) (I'm actually quite certain of this), due to overwhelmingly positive feedback, the MAN J-service will be the new norm on all short haul business service(thanks to customer feedback, of course)
ROFL - spot on!
Old Nov 8, 12, 3:17 am

Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
Come on OH-LGG, you must have some insider knowledge about this, you must've overheard crew rumours on all that time spent between HEL and ARN?
You know as well HEL-ARN is so short there is no time for chit chat.

But one thíng I know: AY likes customers who buy a lot so as I said before revenue per customer is important in the future. Miles flown and flights are secondary thing.

My guess. I'm not from inside. I'm only cheapcharlie flying to ARN.
Old Nov 8, 12, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
a) 25%-category removed (SK copy cat) but some fare classes will earn 0%
b) "New" business-campaign fare class on longhaul traffic - earns only 125%
c) Flybe operated flights introducing "seat-only"-model. Low prices, no service/luggage/points/refunds/et.c.
d) Flybe operated flights turning into some hybrid one-class model. Transiting LH J-pax may get seated infront and/or get food-vouchers
e) changes in segment requirements for tiers, making it a little less impossible for Finns to achieve status
f) Introducing One-up-bidding model for upgrades on AY L/H
Good analysis!

a) very possible, I think
b) hope so, although I dont think this would be ex-HEL
c/d) very probable, even. If not now, but within a very nearby future anyway. Sad though, giving up intra-EU J class on Flybe operated flights sounds very short sighted indeed
e) hard to believe. Finns haven't been the focus for AY since donkeys years, and I cant see a reason why this would change.
f) how exactly do you mean?
Old Nov 8, 12, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the source (I usually get invitations to all press events, didn't get this one)?
Answering myself - There have been issued a press release of this, but not sent to the normal release channels.

e) hard to believe. Finns haven't been the focus for AY since donkeys years, and I cant see a reason why this would change.
f) how exactly do you mean?
e) I know. And AY is not facing too much competition on domestic flights, so maybe this is a no-go. But changing earnings for some fare classes will probably affect something else. Raising tier thresholds will make it even worse for Finns, so that is why I thought they might lower segment threshold.

f) One-up is a company/system that aggressively market themselves to airlines, as a "perfect way" to get extra revenue. It works by selling the upgrade space in an auction. Airlines and casual Y-pax loves this. Airlines think tier-holders won't notice the reduced availability for upgrades with points/vouchers, thus it is "free money" coming in.
Old Nov 8, 12, 4:09 am

f) One-up is a company/system that aggressively market themselves to airlines, as a "perfect way" to get extra revenue. It works by selling the upgrade space in an auction. Airlines and casual Y-pax loves this. Airlines think tier-holders won't notice the reduced availability for upgrades with points/vouchers, thus it is "free money" coming in.
Ah you mean Optiontown kind of operation?
Oh Lord, hope not...
Old Nov 8, 12, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yes. Let's hope they stay clear of this enhancement. (My hope is that the cost of integrating an auction system with AY backbone is just to high. )

BTW, the event is held by Anssi Komulainen SVP customer service. With his background in restaurant business and Finnair catering, my speculation is that we will hear a great deal of catering news.
Contrary to what I was told the other week by customer service, I am now leaning towards the broad implementation of the Manchester concept. Yikes.
Old Nov 8, 12, 4:37 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Answering myself - There have been issued a press release of this, but not sent to the normal release channels.
Well, I did find it in the Kauppalehti press release archive. Those interested, register by Nov 12 [email protected] and pretend to be a journalist..
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
Well, I did find it in the Kauppalehti press release archive. Those interested, register by Nov 12 [email protected] and pretend to be a journalist..
well. it's at finnairgroup website http://www.finnairgroup.com/fi/index.html
- but only in finnish.
I'm positive, and I hope all will be good news - they just cannot jeopardise the business class product to asia.
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:45 am

Feel free to join:

7.11.2012 14:36:34 - OMX Helsinki, News
FIA1S: Finnair Oyj - Kutsu medialle: Finnairin lähitulevaisuuden uudistukset
Finnair Oyj
Lehdistötiedote

Kutsu medialle: Finnairin lähitulevaisuuden uudistukset

Unikot lentävät jo taivaalla. Mitä muuta uutta lähitulevaisuus tuo tullessaan?
Luvassa on uudistuksia lentolipun ostoon, kanta-asiakasohjelmaan sekä
ruokatarjoiluun lennoillamme.

Tervetuloa kuulemaan Finnairin ajankohtaisia uutisia aamukahvin merkeissä
14.11. klo 9.00 WTC Helsinki Airportiin, osoite Lentäjäntie 3, Vantaa.

Tilaisuuden avaa asiakaspalvelusta vastaava johtaja Anssi Komulainen.

Ilmoittautumiset tilaisuuteen 12.11. mennessä osoitteeseen [email protected].

Tervetuloa!

Search this Thread