FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United: - turn your hotel nights into United miles promotion
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:42 am
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hellodali
Received an email this morning:
Here's a fast, easy way to get closer to award travel on United: Earn up to 15,000 bonus award miles when you make points-to-miles transfers through November 30, 2012.
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...iles/conf.html

Conversions to 5k miles get a 1k mile bonus (20%)
Conversions to 10k miles get a 2.5k mile bonus (25%)
Conversions to 20k miles get a 5k mile bonus (25%)
Conversions to 50k miles get a 15k mile bonus (30%)

I'm not sure why they list bonuses for both 10k and 20k since the rate is the same

I was already planning to move over some HHonors points, so I'll take it . The conversion rate with the bonus goes from 10:1 to
8.33:1 (50,000 points)
8:1 (100,000 points)
~7.7:1 (500,000 points)
500K HH points nets you either 65,000 UA miles or a lot of nights at a Cat 7 Hilton.

Unless you have HH points coming out your ears and you stay at Hiltons so often that you never want to see the chain again, I find it hard to believe this bonus from UA mile conversion really is the best way to spend those points. You have to have a very high valuation of UA miles and a low valuation of Hilton to have this make sense. Given that you can get US miles that do much of the same thing for 1.1 cents per mile right now...

I would think the more interesting value play is Marriott travel package conversion- you'd get a 15K UA miles bonus. I also admit that a Wyndham conversion tempts me, since I got Wyndham points cheap during the last Discover America promo, in part because the conversion goes well under a cent per mile when there's any kind of hotel transfer bonus. PLus I have more Club Carlson than I know what to do with, thanks to their generous promos.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 27, 2012 at 8:50 am