FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Night in Chiang Mai
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:13 pm
tommyhtown

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I just don't understand the hype of this mega-resto above CM. The food is expensive and average (at best). The view is great from some tables and non existent from others. Further dusk is the best time but it's fleeting.
I agree that the food is above average price at Palaad. However, it's always good and consistent. I was never disappointed every time I visited.

I don't care for the night bazaar area and prefer the old town. You might to look at hotels on Ratchapakinai/Rachamanka area if less touristy (but still somewhat) is more appealing. Good places can be found easily on Agoda and other websites.

You've really only the morning for any sightseeing and the best bet is Doi Suthep on top of the hill overlooking Chiang Mai. It will fill your time. Alternatively wander about some of the temples in the old city. By my count there's 38.

If you're an early riser the market at Chiang Mai Gate (south side of the old city) is good for sai gawk, northern style sausage and nam prik. You can also pick up grilled pork and sticky rice for breakfast if that's more your style.

If you fancy a night out people watching you can't do better than Niemanhemin area. It's near Chiang Mai University and grabbing a few drinks at one of the clubs/restos and seeing the 'pretty people' is quite an entertaining time.
I also agree with the above comments. I also tend to stay away from the Night Bazaar area as well. If you get there on weekend there are two walking street markets you can visit. Each night has different location.