Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

One Night in Chiang Mai

One Night in Chiang Mai

Old Oct 12, 12, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
One Night in Chiang Mai

I am passing through Chiang Mai this week and spending one night, roughly 1830 - 1400 the following day. I would VERY much appreciate some insight as to transport from hotel, MUST SEE or DO; and, any under $40 a night accommodations you may recommend . . . Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 12, 6:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Moving to Thailand Forum for more effective exposure.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Oct 13, 12, 10:09 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Alas, not much time to do much. Maybe you can squeeze in a trip to Doi Suthep temple in the morning, and there's always the Night Bazaar. My favorite low-cost hotel of the moment is the Thapae Boutique House, which should run in the $30 range. It's a couple minutes from the Thapae Gate and is about a 10-minute walk to either the Night Bazaar or the Warorot Market and its nearby fruit and flower markets.

Since you will be there in the evening, you might want to hire a songthaew and dine at the Palaad Tawanron restaurant. (Have the driver wait for you.) It's about a 20-minute ride from the Thapae area and is adjacent to the Chiang Mai Zoo, offering a very nice hillside view of the city lights. If you don't want to go that far, there are numerous riverside restaurants that are closer by and offer a pleasant dining atmosphere if the music isn't too loud. Chiang Mai is noted for its curries and sausages, so give them a try.

Transport from the airport is very easy. Go to the taxi desk. It's a flat fee of 120 baht to pretty much any hotel in Chiang Mai. Returning to the airport, any tuk tuk should do the trick.

Last edited by Rampo; Oct 14, 12 at 9:18 am Reason: link added
Old Oct 13, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I recommend the "Good Morning Chiang Mai" cafe.

Nice food, pleasant surroundings, amiable staff, American managers.
Old Oct 15, 12, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Rampo View Post

Since you will be there in the evening, you might want to hire a songthaew and dine at the Palaad Tawanron restaurant..
I just don't understand the hype of this mega-resto above CM. The food is expensive and average (at best). The view is great from some tables and non existent from others. Further dusk is the best time but it's fleeting.

Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
I recommend the "Good Morning Chiang Mai" cafe.

Nice food, pleasant surroundings, amiable staff, American managers.
I've never eaten food there. The place is interestingly set up but I'm not a fan of their coffee. Just a few hundred meters north of there, on Ratchadamnoen, AKA walking street, is a coffee shop Pacamara which is my favorite in the old city. Just around the corner on Jabhan, about 50m north of walking street, is my favorite deep fried banana vendor in the city. A bit north of there, across from the Three Kings statue and the Cultural Center is a string of chicken rice and khao soi shops.

I don't care for the night bazaar area and prefer the old town. You might to look at hotels on Ratchapakinai/Rachamanka area if less touristy (but still somewhat) is more appealing. Good places can be found easily on Agoda and other websites.

You've really only the morning for any sightseeing and the best bet is Doi Suthep on top of the hill overlooking Chiang Mai. It will fill your time. Alternatively wander about some of the temples in the old city. By my count there's 38.

If you're an early riser the market at Chiang Mai Gate (south side of the old city) is good for sai gawk, northern style sausage and nam prik. You can also pick up grilled pork and sticky rice for breakfast if that's more your style.

If you fancy a night out people watching you can't do better than Niemanhemin area. It's near Chiang Mai University and grabbing a few drinks at one of the clubs/restos and seeing the 'pretty people' is quite an entertaining time.
Old Oct 15, 12, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
I just don't understand the hype of this mega-resto above CM. The food is expensive and average (at best). The view is great from some tables and non existent from others. Further dusk is the best time but it's fleeting.
I agree that the food is above average price at Palaad. However, it's always good and consistent. I was never disappointed every time I visited.

I don't care for the night bazaar area and prefer the old town. You might to look at hotels on Ratchapakinai/Rachamanka area if less touristy (but still somewhat) is more appealing. Good places can be found easily on Agoda and other websites.

You've really only the morning for any sightseeing and the best bet is Doi Suthep on top of the hill overlooking Chiang Mai. It will fill your time. Alternatively wander about some of the temples in the old city. By my count there's 38.

If you're an early riser the market at Chiang Mai Gate (south side of the old city) is good for sai gawk, northern style sausage and nam prik. You can also pick up grilled pork and sticky rice for breakfast if that's more your style.

If you fancy a night out people watching you can't do better than Niemanhemin area. It's near Chiang Mai University and grabbing a few drinks at one of the clubs/restos and seeing the 'pretty people' is quite an entertaining time.
I also agree with the above comments. I also tend to stay away from the Night Bazaar area as well. If you get there on weekend there are two walking street markets you can visit. Each night has different location.
Old Oct 15, 12, 12:53 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Don't think I was hyping the place; it was just a suggestion and the restaurant does offer a unique view of the city, at least until a restaurant opens up next to Doi Suthep temple. The Thai dishes I had were fine and, speaking as a frugal Scot-German who stays in $30 hotels, I didn't find the slight premium one pays for the view to be outrageous. I think we spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 baht for 3 adults for dinner, including a couple large Singhas. I wouldn't eat there every night, but it was a special occasion that we all enjoyed.

I also am not enamored with the Night Bazaar, but many do seem to enjoy it and it was offered merely as a suggestion for something to do for someone who has only one night and has never to been to Chiang Mai before. I do agree that the Chiang Mai University area is fun, but if one has only one night pretty much any area in Chiang Mai is going to be entertaining.
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tommyhtown View Post
I also agree with the above comments. I also tend to stay away from the Night Bazaar area as well. If you get there on weekend there are two walking street markets you can visit. Each night has different location.
On Saturday nights the market is on Wualai which trends southwest from Chiang Mai Gate.

On Sunday the main area is Ratchadamnoen from Tha Pae Gate to Wat Phra Singh. There are also sections on the road parallel to the north from Wat Intra to the Chiang Mai District office.

Originally Posted by Rampo View Post
Don't think I was hyping the place; it was just a suggestion and the restaurant does offer a unique view of the city, at least until a restaurant opens up next to Doi Suthep temple. The Thai dishes I had were fine and, speaking as a frugal Scot-German who stays in $30 hotels, I didn't find the slight premium one pays for the view to be outrageous. I think we spent somewhere between 1500 and 2000 baht for 3 adults for dinner, including a couple large Singhas. I wouldn't eat there every night, but it was a special occasion that we all enjoyed.

I also am not enamored with the Night Bazaar, but many do seem to enjoy it and it was offered merely as a suggestion for something to do for someone who has only one night and has never to been to Chiang Mai before. I do agree that the Chiang Mai University area is fun, but if one has only one night pretty much any area in Chiang Mai is going to be entertaining.
I was not trying to pick on your post and suggest that you were hyping that particular resto that I don't care to mention. I've heard many suggest the place previously and in two go rounds have decided that it's more hype than anything substantial. Service and food quality were subpar both times and the cost was inversely proportional to the experience.

As for the night bazaar it is simply an area where other farang congregate and that must hold some endearing and comforting element. I'm still trying to come to grips with what is magnetic about the area.
Old Oct 18, 12, 9:06 am

Thanks for the info.!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: