FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:49 am
TripleD

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I agree and when the ability to change gauge that easily becomes real then, like I said, FF programs will be near useless. That said, how often do they change the gauges above on specific routes? Not often because there are lots of other factors including Pilot ac ratings/bases, better utilization on other routes, AC efficiency, and even gate presence capability at certain airports. Your point is completely valid but I do not believe they can yet toggle like to the level above and of course there comes a time when gauge will not be enough..they need to add a new flight/ac and that is the chasm I am talking about.
FF programs will not be near useless. They modify customer behavior. I quite recently flew Delta in paid business class to Japan instead of ANA, even though ANA is both better and cheaper for business class, because of the FF program at Delta. My travel to Europe has been modified. I will consider a change of planes on Delta rather than a direct flight on another carrier because I will get an upgrade. Your point is that the plane will be full anyway, but you miss that it will be filled with passengers who pay less than I do. Load is one factor. Route maximization is the other. If Delta is reading this, they need to understand exactly what they say on that darn tape "I have a choice in air travel." I could just as easily take an earlier flight on American, a better flight on Emirates or a cheaper flight on Southwest.