FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:57 am
747_not_777

Programs: BA Gold
Question Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)

It’s bank holiday weekend in the UK. Too many of us are probably stuck at home, it’ll be raining outside (if you are in the UK), James Bond will be on the telly, and not a lot else.

But where would you rather be? Please don’t real off a list of your preferred five star hotels. This is a chance to name your number one ‘happy place’. The single location, anywhere in the world, where you’d rather be, given the time and means to get there. And so we can all learn from each other (and hopefully get useful hints), how do you get there with BA / OneWorld (we are all Avios redeemers at heart).^

My happy place
To kick off, as my profile has said for months (see box left), Moab is my happy place. Small – but AMAZING – town in Utah, USA, bordered on all sides by stunning red rock scenery and two incredible National Parks. It's 'adventure central' - you can do whatever floats your boat. Hiking, exploring, 4x4ing, ATVing, painting, rock climbing, base jumping, canoeing, moutain biking, scenic flights or just relaxing and soaking up the sun in cowboy country.

There’s luxury accommodation if you want to spend $$$$, or there are motels if basic is more your style/budget. You can even camp or take an RV (not my style, but all folks are different). Moab and the surrounding area was even the focal point for the movie http://www.foxsearchlight.com/127hours/. If you like it busy go at Easter, if you prefer it more quiet go in the Summer. Somtimes its hot, somtimes its cold - but the scenery is always outstanding.

Put me anywhere in the world for a few days to relax, have fun and be happy – I’d pick Moab.

You can get there via a BA flight to PHX, LAS or DEN, and then a long (but incredibly scenic drive), or you can fly into DFW and connect with AA to GJT, and then take a much shorter drive from there. Flying direct to Moab isn’t really practical, but can be done via DEN (but not on OW).

http://www.discovermoab.com/

I’d recommend it, for lone travellers, couples or families. I can't wait to be back (soon I hope).

Now, how about you?