FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Setting FAA complaint form as my homepage
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:07 pm
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mjwolfforange
Since my complaints to the airline are not helping (they actually gave me a $400 voucher, which when used by my wife resulted in her being cancelled)
My deepest sympathies for your wife's cancellation. Maybe she'll return in syndication?

Originally Posted by mjwolfforange
I've decided that for every 1+ hour non-weather related delay, I am going to file a complaint with the FAA. Given the amount of flying I do, I've already filed two complaints this week alone.
I'm not sure it's very polite to file a DoT complaint for every delay that's an airline's fault (basically either mx or crew). If everyone did this, the complaints would be meaningless and you'd be cluttering up the system.

If you can find some DoT rule that you think United violated after mx'ing you, you might have a better case.

Here's one of my favorites: "A DOT rule requires that airlines acknowlege a written complaint within 30 days and send a substantive response within 60 days of receiving the complaint." (http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publicati...ts.htm#delayed) If you file a written complaint with UA and they don't acknowledge your complaint within 30 days, or respond substantively within 60, then you're totally entitled to send off a DoT complaint about that!

Also, wow, the DoT has some great advice about writing complaint letters:

* If you send a letter, type it and, if at all possible, limit it to two pages.

* Include your daytime telephone number (with area code).

* No matter how angry you might be, keep your letter or email businesslike in tone and don't exaggerate what happened. If the complaint sounds very vehement or sarcastic, you might wait a day and then consider revising it.

* Describe what happened, and give dates, cities, and flight numbers or flight times.

* Where possible, include copies, never the originals, of tickets and receipts or other documents that can back up your claim.

* Include the names of any employees who were rude or made things worse, as well as anyone who might have been especially helpful.

* Don't clutter your complaint with a litany of petty gripes that can obscure what you're really angry about.

* Let the airline know if you've suffered any special inconvenience or monetary losses.

* Say just what you expect the carrier to do to make amends. An airline may offer to settle your claim with a check or some other kind of compensation, possibly free transportation. You might want a written apology from a rude employee or reimbursement for some loss you incurred ? but the airline needs to know what you want before it can decide what action to take.

* Be reasonable. If your demands are way out of line, you are rude or sarcastic, or you use vulgar language, at best your letter might earn you a polite apology and a place in the airline's crank files.

If you follow these guidelines, the airlines will probably treat your complaint seriously. Your letter will help them to determine what caused your problem, as well as to suggest actions the company can take to keep the same thing from happening to other people.