Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Setting FAA complaint form as my homepage

Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Gold

Hi All,

Like many of you, I have been a loyal United flier, with over 800,000 BIS in the past 6 years. However, this CO merger has been an absolute disaster and at this point, I just want UA to either get their operations sorted out or get Smisek out.

Since my complaints to the airline are not helping (they actually gave me a $400 voucher, which when used by my wife resulted in her being cancelled), I've decided that for every 1+ hour non-weather related delay, I am going to file a complaint with the FAA. Given the amount of flying I do, I've already filed two complaints this week alone.

If anything, the media watches these numbers, so as I'm sitting in MCI with another 2 hour delay, hopefully I can do my part in getting the C-suite of this airline ousted.

United come back this is killing me!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Welcome to FT! Unfortunately the PMUA that many of us knew and loved is DOA, replaced by the zombie COdbaUA airline. Your call about trying to wait it out for improvements or looking to shift business to other more reliable, loyal traveler-friendly airlines that many of us are exploring.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mjwolfforange

United come back this is killing me!
Why the FAA? If you have legitimate consumer concerns with UA, I believe you're supposed to file with the DOT.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
Why the FAA? If you have legitimate consumer concerns with UA, I believe you're supposed to file with the DOT.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
Thanks sannmann, yes you can get to this DOT form through the FAA web-site, which is why I was referring to the FAA. For the non-safety related stuff, you should use the URL you provided which goes to the DOT.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Since my complaints to the airline are not helping (they actually gave me a $400 voucher, which when used by my wife resulted in her being cancelled)
My deepest sympathies for your wife's cancellation. Maybe she'll return in syndication?

I've decided that for every 1+ hour non-weather related delay, I am going to file a complaint with the FAA. Given the amount of flying I do, I've already filed two complaints this week alone.
I'm not sure it's very polite to file a DoT complaint for every delay that's an airline's fault (basically either mx or crew). If everyone did this, the complaints would be meaningless and you'd be cluttering up the system.

If you can find some DoT rule that you think United violated after mx'ing you, you might have a better case.

Here's one of my favorites: "A DOT rule requires that airlines acknowlege a written complaint within 30 days and send a substantive response within 60 days of receiving the complaint." (http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publicati...ts.htm#delayed) If you file a written complaint with UA and they don't acknowledge your complaint within 30 days, or respond substantively within 60, then you're totally entitled to send off a DoT complaint about that!

Also, wow, the DoT has some great advice about writing complaint letters:

* If you send a letter, type it and, if at all possible, limit it to two pages.

* Include your daytime telephone number (with area code).

* No matter how angry you might be, keep your letter or email businesslike in tone and don't exaggerate what happened. If the complaint sounds very vehement or sarcastic, you might wait a day and then consider revising it.

* Describe what happened, and give dates, cities, and flight numbers or flight times.

* Where possible, include copies, never the originals, of tickets and receipts or other documents that can back up your claim.

* Include the names of any employees who were rude or made things worse, as well as anyone who might have been especially helpful.

* Don't clutter your complaint with a litany of petty gripes that can obscure what you're really angry about.

* Let the airline know if you've suffered any special inconvenience or monetary losses.

* Say just what you expect the carrier to do to make amends. An airline may offer to settle your claim with a check or some other kind of compensation, possibly free transportation. You might want a written apology from a rude employee or reimbursement for some loss you incurred ? but the airline needs to know what you want before it can decide what action to take.

* Be reasonable. If your demands are way out of line, you are rude or sarcastic, or you use vulgar language, at best your letter might earn you a polite apology and a place in the airline's crank files.

If you follow these guidelines, the airlines will probably treat your complaint seriously. Your letter will help them to determine what caused your problem, as well as to suggest actions the company can take to keep the same thing from happening to other people.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
LOL...like that won't get you on a few lists.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: VAG
That's a fantastic idea.

I'm going to go one better and file a DOT complaint every time I see a "United" aircraft with a globe on the tail. This is an outrage!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Do it if it makes you feel better. But, you are just letting UA steal more time from you now, right?

Unless you write the letter DURING the delay. If you are that disciplined, more power to you.

You aren't going to get satisfaction or business change here. The only way to do that is SPEAK with your WALLET. That's the only real way to affect change here.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:36 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Hi All,
I've decided that for every 1+ hour non-weather related delay, I am going to file a complaint with the FAA. Given the amount of flying I do, I've already filed two complaints this week alone.
Yes, UA service has deteriorated, but this is way over the top and diminishes the utility of the DOT complaint system.

It also hurts your credibility.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by uwr
Yes, UA service has deteriorated, but this is way over the top and diminishes the utility of the DOT complaint system.

It also hurts your credibility.
Don't worry, the stuff OP sends to FAA will get lateraled to Main DOT. Once they see a bunch of stuff from the same person, they'll ignore it too.

Nor sure why OP is torturing himself. He doesn't like UA, he should fly the competition. Simple as that. Of course, he probably won't like the font size of the BP's on DL or the thread count of the hot towels on AA or somesuch.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
If you want your MP account closed and your miles forfeited then I suggest you go ahead with this. If not, suck it up and deal. During egregious situations, write into UA, but if you get a reputation for being a whiner, they will make your life even more difficult on UA.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dparkinson
If you want your MP account closed and your miles forfeited then I suggest you go ahead with this. If not, suck it up and deal. During egregious situations, write into UA, but if you get a reputation for being a whiner, they will make your life even more difficult on UA.
+1 - All carriers (hotel chains, car rentals too) do this. At some point it becomes more of a pain than it's worth and the business fires the customer. That will leave OP to DL AA (however long that continues to exist) and US. In 18 months, he'll be on Greyhound (which has found a remarkable way to circumvent ATC delays).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
A different way to approach this, using their own flaws.

Here is what I do. If I get into a situation where MX/Crew is the problem, I ask to be put on standby for another flight or protected on another routing. The agents are so unfamiliar with the systems they won't know to ARNK your record for the protection segment. This causes your ITIN to be cancelled. Watch it disappear from your phone and immediately fix it with the agent.

Then, file a complaint with the DOT that United deleted your ITIN and showed you as a no-show on their MX/Crew delayed flight, when in fact you were there.

If enough pax have their ITINs deleted, actually deleted, we can start the wheels in motion to fix these systems/jokers running this place.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Akulashark
Here is what I do. If I get into a situation where MX/Crew is the problem, I ask to be put on standby for another flight or protected on another routing. The agents are so unfamiliar with the systems they won't know to ARNK your record for the protection segment. This causes your ITIN to be cancelled. Watch it disappear from your phone and immediately fix it with the agent.

Then, file a complaint with the DOT that United deleted your ITIN and showed you as a no-show on their MX/Crew delayed flight, when in fact you were there.

If enough pax have their ITINs deleted, actually deleted, we can start the wheels in motion to fix these systems/jokers running this place.
It's been my experience that UA is very good and that SHARES, for all the wannabe software engineers on FT, actually does handle protecting itineraries in IRROPS, although it may not rely on 1960's codes to do so.

This is also one of those cutting nose to spite face things. Presuming that one works, time is money. All fun to say if you can cause a slipup so you can file a complaint with DOT, which unlike Nanny EU isn't going to slap the carriers around over this, you the pax are now stuck without a confirmed itinerary, hoping it gets fixed rather than focusing on the job or vacation which, as the case may be, is why you flew in the first place.

Seems that people over-personlize the relationship. One has a business relationship with an air carrier. It's not a marriage. Don't like UA, don't fly it. You don't need an anullment !
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Has UA really been known to close MP accounts in response to DOT complaints? That would be quite outrageous, wouldn't it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.