FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:11 am
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Squirrel Update: Last year I went online and purchased some "Squirrel Be Gone!" type powder, apparently infused with the scent of some predator's urine that would cause squirrels to think twice before setting up shop in my cabin. The reviews I'd read on this product were good and so I sprinkled and sprayed it liberally about the cabin exterior expecting that my squirrel problem would shortly be but a distant memory. Well, the local red tree squirrels apparently didn't think much of that product at all as the assault on my cabin continued unabated. It should be noted that because they'd nested there prior to my having moved in, the cabin is apparently "marked" and now is a natural attractant to squirrels desiring better accommodations than can be found in the local witches broom or spruce rust found throughout the black spruce forest I live in. Further research on the internet revealed that squirrels don't like hot, spicy things. I remembered the scene from "Cool Hand Luke" where Paul Newman's character instructs a local kid to sprinkle chilli powder around a barn to help cover his tracks as well as provide some entertainment for the kid as the hounds sniffed it up. Ever hopeful for similar results, I put together a concoction of Cayenne and White peppers and distributed them liberally. Alas, the squirrels seemed unaffected.
This is degenerating into an Animal Encounters Episode -- I think you also mentioned mothballs in an earlier post. Which reminds me of a friend who had heard that mothballs would discourage one of our local pests -- crawfish (or mudbugs as we know them -- jlemon probably has had this problem) from building their little mounds in his backyard. He stuffed mothballs down a couple of dozen mounds, but next morning found each of them perched on the lip of the mound where they had been pushed out.
So much for that grand plan. Of course crawfish are a delicacy around here, but I wish they'd leave my backyard and go somewhere else.