FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sacramento International Airport Dropping TSA
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:49 pm
castrobenes

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
http://www.fromthecapitol.com/sacram...pping-tsa-3115

I thought Pistole Pete's vision was no more privatization (AKA release from working level TSA job creation quotas)?
I know neither SFO nor MCI are rife with happy experiences on this forum, and I can tell you from frequent personal experiences that ROC sux, (3 privatized examples), but this privatization is much bigger than Orlando-Sanford, and hopefully is a clue of things to come.
Especially positive news given the just "achieved" unionization of TS"O"'s. Perhaps there's still hope for this country. ^^^
The AFGE has been the officially recognized federal TSO union for over a year. What happened this week is that TSA leadership and the AFGE agreed to terms of a contract which still must be ratified by the workforce.

I am interested to know what the intention is of those who support "privatization" of the TSO workforce. TSA still sets policy for security screening. Federal TSMs and an FSD still oversee the screening process. TSA will continue to develop training and testing of TSOs.

The contract to hire the "privatized" TSOs is a federal contract which means that it is awarded under the same protocols as any other federal contract. The SFO employees aren't any more accountable than TSA TSOs.

On the other hand, "privatization" will give the TSA a chance to point the finger at the contractors and the contractors to point the finger at TSA.

"Privatization" does nothing to reduce the federal (TSA) role in airport security, doesn't change the screening process including AIT or pat-downs, and gives TSA a built in contractor lobbying group who will argue for more resources devoted to screening.

Also for those of you who argue that TSA screening is unconstitutional, don't you think that the same argument applies to contractors. Remember the model that SMF and SFO are adopting is not private airlines deciding on the type of security required to use their product. "Privatization" in this case just means that a contractor hires TSOs who will enforce screening mandated by the federal government.

castro