Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sacramento International Airport Dropping TSA

Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me

http://www.fromthecapitol.com/sacram...pping-tsa-3115

I thought Pistole Pete's vision was no more privatization (AKA release from working level TSA job creation quotas)?
I know neither SFO nor MCI are rife with happy experiences on this forum, and I can tell you from frequent personal experiences that ROC sux, (3 privatized examples), but this privatization is much bigger than Orlando-Sanford, and hopefully is a clue of things to come.
Especially positive news given the just "achieved" unionization of TS"O"'s. Perhaps there's still hope for this country. ^^^
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by NY-FLA

I thought Pistole Pete's vision was no more privatization (AKA release from working level TSA job creation quotas)?
I know neither SFO nor MCI are rife with happy experiences on this forum, and I can tell you from frequent personal experiences that ROC sux, (3 privatized examples), but this privatization is much bigger than Orlando-Sanford, and hopefully is a clue of things to come.
Especially positive news given the just "achieved" unionization of TS"O"'s. Perhaps there's still hope for this country. ^^^
Is there anything to prevent private contractor workers from joining the union? Is it restricted to federal employees?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I love the comments under the article.

I'm sure the private company will be just as horrible as the TSA, but they can't hide behind the American Federation of Government Employees when they screw up. I hope more airports follow suit.

Originally Posted by chollie
Is there anything to prevent private contractor workers from joining the union? Is it restricted to federal employees?
Good point and the answer is yes they can.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
I love the comments under the article.

I'm sure the private company will be just as horrible as the TSA, but they can't hide behind the American Federation of Government Employees when they screw up. I hope more airports follow suit.

Good point and the answer is yes they can.
They can't join the AFGE which only represents the government workers. They would be eligible to unionize if their employees went through the process of organizing which includes a petition process, and an election. Note SFO TSOs are in the SEIO (Service Employees International).

castro
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA

The AFGE has been the officially recognized federal TSO union for over a year. What happened this week is that TSA leadership and the AFGE agreed to terms of a contract which still must be ratified by the workforce.

I am interested to know what the intention is of those who support "privatization" of the TSO workforce. TSA still sets policy for security screening. Federal TSMs and an FSD still oversee the screening process. TSA will continue to develop training and testing of TSOs.

The contract to hire the "privatized" TSOs is a federal contract which means that it is awarded under the same protocols as any other federal contract. The SFO employees aren't any more accountable than TSA TSOs.

On the other hand, "privatization" will give the TSA a chance to point the finger at the contractors and the contractors to point the finger at TSA.

"Privatization" does nothing to reduce the federal (TSA) role in airport security, doesn't change the screening process including AIT or pat-downs, and gives TSA a built in contractor lobbying group who will argue for more resources devoted to screening.

Also for those of you who argue that TSA screening is unconstitutional, don't you think that the same argument applies to contractors. Remember the model that SMF and SFO are adopting is not private airlines deciding on the type of security required to use their product. "Privatization" in this case just means that a contractor hires TSOs who will enforce screening mandated by the federal government.

castro
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by castrobenes
"Privatization" in this case just means that a contractor hires TSOs who will enforce screening mandated by the federal government.

castro
And if we could extend this to every airport in the United States, we'd all be better off.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by halls120
And if we could extend this to every airport in the United States, we'd all be better off.
Perhaps, but we would have to change the overall infallibility culture. Some of the worst treatment I've received is at SFO.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:04 am

In what ways would we "all be better off"?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:40 am

The creation of TSA has proven to be one of the biggest mistakes we made in response to 9/11. Even those in Congress who once supported TSA now admit it was a mistake.

It is an indisputable fact that lax gate security was not the cause of the 9/11 hijackings. We established TSA in a fit of fear, creating an expensive and unnecessary federal workforce that provides no better security than the contract force it replaced. For example, the contract force at SFO routinely passes internal evaluations with a far higher score than any other "federalized" workforce.

What we have done by creating TSA is bring more felons into the federal government workforce, providing more opportunity for the criminal element to bribe airport security. Right now, DHS has more open investigations against TSA employees than against any other branch of the department.

To close out this trifecta of failure, we have increased the cost of flying and inconvenience to passengers through the massively ineffective Kabuki theater that TSA has established in every domestic airport. Complete with rude barking agents with chips on their shoulders who believe they have the right to abuse and humilate their fellow citizens under the color of law.

I suspect you see it differently, being as how you are a TSA employee, but it is what it is - you are a member of the single most despised part of the entire federal government.

Enjoy your day as you fondle grandmothers, the disabled, and toddlers.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:09 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Oh boy, here it comes. Flood gates have been opened!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:42 pm

The creation of TSA has proven to be one of the biggest mistakes we made in response to 9/11. Even those in Congress who once supported TSA now admit it was a mistake.

It is an indisputable fact that lax gate security was not the cause of the 9/11 hijackings. We established TSA in a fit of fear, creating an expensive and unnecessary federal workforce that provides no better security than the contract force it replaced. For example, the contract force at SFO routinely passes internal evaluations with a far higher score than any other "federalized" workforce.

What we have done by creating TSA is bring more felons into the federal government workforce, providing more opportunity for the criminal element to bribe airport security. Right now, DHS has more open investigations against TSA employees than against any other branch of the department.

To close out this trifecta of failure, we have increased the cost of flying and inconvenience to passengers through the massively ineffective Kabuki theater that TSA has established in every domestic airport. Complete with rude barking agents with chips on their shoulders who believe they have the right to abuse and humilate their fellow citizens under the color of law.

I suspect you see it differently, being as how you are a TSA employee, but it is what it is - you are a member of the single most despised part of the entire federal government.

Enjoy your day as you fondle grandmothers, the disabled, and toddlers.
I get that you don't like TSA and think I am a dirt bag for working for the organization. But all of that is non-responsive....

If every airport chose to privatize tomorrow, the screening process would stay the same. The TSOs are guaranteed jobs with the private contractor. TSA management and policies stay the same. AIT and pat-downs don't change.

castro
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Oh boy, here it comes. Flood gates have been opened!
If they relaxed the rules. They can lifted the ticketed passengers only. They will able allowed go into the entire concourse again.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:16 pm

I get that you don't like TSA and think I am a dirt bag for working for the organization. But all of that is non-responsive....

If every airport chose to privatize tomorrow, the screening process would stay the same. The TSOs are guaranteed jobs with the private contractor. TSA management and policies stay the same. AIT and pat-downs don't change.

castro
And the ones with attitude like supervisor screener Tigabliti at HOU on Saturday will get fired a lot sooner than your current cohorts.

Tolerance for attitude problems is very low in the private sector Castro. I suggest that you start to learn that.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Be careful what you wish for. SFO's contractor (CAS) is horrible - real bunch of idiotic jerks in that organization.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by N1120A
Perhaps, but we would have to change the overall infallibility culture. Some of the worst treatment I've received is at SFO.
Agreed. I've had the same experiences at SFO, as well as MCI.

My worst opt-out experience was at SFO, where the supervisor tried to intimidate me into providing my BP & ID for a comment card, and then called to have my opt-out recorded

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.