FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last minute flights = zero chance of upgrade
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:28 pm
Pat89339
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying
It really doesn't make any sense. Because of my job, I buy 99% of my tickets a day or two before departure. I am ALWAYS #1 on upgrade when I book 1 day before flight on United - however, I never get upgraded because of all the upgrades via the 72 hour upgrade block. By the time I book, first is already filled with lower tier/lower fare tickets.

So they charge me an UBER premium for flying last minute and I end up sitting in possibly the most expensive coach seat on the plane. Thanks for rewarding profitability United...

Awkward for United that when I do fly them, I remember why I stopped. You'd figure just once, that I'd be reminded why I used to fly United... but that hasn't happened in a while.
Your profile shows that you are Premier Exec which UA has mapped to 4th tier in the CPU upgrade scheme: GS>1K>Platinum>Gold>Silver>Dirt. As a 1K I often buy tickets at the last minute. Last week I bought a ticket the same day that I flew, about 6 hours in advance and I was #1 on the upgrade list with 1 seat remaining. I cleared at the airport less than an hour before the flight. Of course it is route dependent, but your chances of clearing with higher status is greater.