Last minute flights = zero chance of upgrade

Old Aug 3, 12, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer the earlier question -UP fares are "instant" but not "automatic." A silver booking a B fare can, space available, UG ahead of the GS CPU window. This is why there are so many GS in coach on the IAD-SFO/LAX routes. Lots of YCA and other corporate discounts booked into Y/B quite far out + intl. F/C pax inbound, all mean that most of domestic F is gone before the GS window is even hit.

As to reroutes, that's all a flight-by-flight matter. If you move up by a flight and 10 GS misconnect, you're in clover. In the reverse situaion, you're in steerage.
Old Aug 3, 12, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by valor155 View Post
Can anyone verify this? Do you really have to click "upgrade" for the "instant upgrade" to work. I'm PMUA, and I haven't bought YBM yet this year. I'd be interested in another data point here.
My experience - My reservation on United.com said (red letters) that my reservation in Y is upgrade eligible.

I did not see a way to do it on line.

I called the 1K line and in about 2 minutes both of the Y segments on my itinerary were upgraded to F by the helpful and professional 1K phone agent.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As to reroutes, that's all a flight-by-flight matter. If you move up by a flight and 10 GS misconnect, you're in clover. In the reverse situaion, you're in steerage.
UA F = clover? Sounds nice!

Last edited by LarkSFO; Aug 3, 12 at 1:10 pm
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
My experience - My reservation on United.com said (red letters) that my reservation in Y is upgrade eligible.

I did not see a way to do it on line.
IME, when doing this you can either click on the "Upgrade Reservation" link just like what you do when you want to apply RPUs or GPUs to upgrade or burn miles for upgrades.

Or you can just click on the seat map and select any seat in F then click save/continue and follow the instructions on the screen.

I have not done this in several months, but I am pretty sure that process has not changed.
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
IME, when doing this you can either click on the "Upgrade Reservation" link just like what you do when you want to apply RPUs or GPUs to upgrade or burn miles for upgrades.

Or you can just click on the seat map and select any seat in F then click save/continue and follow the instructions on the screen.

I have not done this in several months, but I am pretty sure that process has not changed.
Thanks!

The method to do it online was not immediately clear to me, and I like calling the 1K line anyway. The level of service I have been getting from the 1K line over the past 60 days has been as good as ever.
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
could also be the website issue that a lot of PMUA flyers just aren't aware of and isn't super publicized by the new UA where you have to manually log into united.com and click the "upgrade" button on your reservation. not sure if it's that, but seems not a lot of people are aware of it still and that the YB(M) "instant upgrade" just essentially means it's instantly available, but not instantly processed. :shrug:
I didn't know that.

Thanks.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Not really. Better than Silver for sure, but only marginally.

To have a reasonable shot at an upgrade most of the time you need to be an 1K on this route.
real life experience as a gold - pre 3/3, upgrade percentage was about 40-50% on most routes except transcons SFO/LAX-PHL. post 3/3, 17 segments flown, 2 CPU -- one ORD-CID (30 minute flight on CR7) and one IAH-PHL which frankly shocked the hell out of me.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Thanks!

The method to do it online was not immediately clear to me, and I like calling the 1K line anyway. The level of service I have been getting from the 1K line over the past 60 days has been as good as ever.
the link is just below the entire body of the reservation on the lefthand side, hard to find at best, took me 10 minutes to remember where to find it the other day even though i had just clicked one thru a few days before.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 3, 12 at 5:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AeroWesty View Post
I really think UA is missing a trick here. They should adopt the NOR-1 standby upgrade system like Hilton has to manage TODs. "If the seat is available, do you want to upgrade for $XXX?" Then offer a higher upgrade fee if they want a confirmed upgrade instead.

That would probably leave more last minute room in F for high-priced Y tickets, while still capturing paid upgrades if tickets such as the type you buy don't get purchased.
Actually, US has already started offering the "If the seat is available, do you want to upgrade for $xxx." The email is clear that it is a space-availabe upgrade at y hours before departure, if an F seat is still available.
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:13 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
by the way, how about this solution, if you're really buying full fare tickets all the time:

Buy your tickets in advance, even if you're not sure you're going to be using them. Use the refundability to preserve your options, including the upgrade possibility. You can cancel or reschedule the tickets if you don't use them, but you'll be in line for the upgrade if that's really what's happening on your routes.
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Actually, US has already started offering the "If the seat is available, do you want to upgrade for $xxx." The email is clear that it is a space-availabe upgrade at y hours before departure, if an F seat is still available.
Do you have a link to the best US Air thread discussing this?

Interesting approach... You only pay if the upgrade space is available and you receive the upgrade...

This is what many people have complained about with W fares required for applying a GPU. (The fact that you have to buy the W fare and hope you get the upgrade, if it does not clear immediately at booking.)

If UA adopted this for W fare upsells / GPU's, I think most 1K's would be happy with this development.
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ddrost1 View Post
the link is just below the entire body of the reservation on the lefthand side, hard to find at best, took me 10 minutes to remember where to find it the other day even though i had just clicked one thru a few days before.
Yup - and while it's good for us who are "in the know", I can only imagine the hundreds (maybe a few thousand) of M flyers (and B too on occasion) every day who may not have had the auto-F upgrade available at booking, but then don't know to keep checking for space.

A more dynamic system would check for space in real-time and would process the auto-upgrade if space became available, but of course SHARES can't do that.
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador

OMG...it can't be so. COdbaUA and SHAREs actually let you do it yourself easily?
Old Aug 3, 12, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
To have a reasonable shot at an upgrade most of the time you need to be an 1K on this route.
Not really - GS.

In the reality, this is one of the routes that a lot of people burn their RPUs.
Old Aug 3, 12, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying View Post
It really doesn't make any sense. Because of my job, I buy 99% of my tickets a day or two before departure. I am ALWAYS #1 on upgrade when I book 1 day before flight on United - however, I never get upgraded because of all the upgrades via the 72 hour upgrade block. By the time I book, first is already filled with lower tier/lower fare tickets.

So they charge me an UBER premium for flying last minute and I end up sitting in possibly the most expensive coach seat on the plane. Thanks for rewarding profitability United...

Awkward for United that when I do fly them, I remember why I stopped. You'd figure just once, that I'd be reminded why I used to fly United... but that hasn't happened in a while.
I haven't seen these points mentioned yet in the thread -

1. If you are buying at last minute on a high fare, and that fare is not B (or M if you are 1K) then you should check the difference between your fare class and BM classes and maybe for a few bucks more, you can get Y or M, then get an instant upgrade. Note, though, that Y and M clear into another special bucket, so you need to check that bucket to see if the instant upgrade is available (but the UA web site should tell you that at booking time). This strategy might help you. I did this on a recent flight in a very similar situation and it worked well. I was on a trip that required me to go "lowest fare" so I just paid the difference (about $100) out of my pocket.

2. Are you Prem Exec or 1K? If the former, it's highly unlikely you are "always" #1 on the UG list. Your profile says the former, but I thought someone said the latter.
Old Aug 3, 12, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying View Post
- however, I never get upgraded because of all the upgrades via the 72 hour upgrade block. By the time I book, first is already filled with lower tier/lower fare tickets......

....I'm going by the mobile app.. possibly not the most reliable source but on the upgrade list, it seems to show confirmed upgrades and upgrade wait list. My name is usually #1 but there are 7-8 confirmed/checked-in upgrades and status lists F class as FULL from the upgrade tab.
You cannot conclude that those upgraded ahead of you are lower tier or lower fare. This list shows several types of upgrades and does not consist only of CPU. Also, the CPU and other upgrades can occur at several times. It is certainly not unusual for a 1K to get the upgrade at 72 or at 24. I definitely see inventory being held for the last minute for first class sales and Y/B/M ups. Nearly every flight I look at has first inventory long after the last CPU starting window has passed.

Search this Thread