FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:46 pm
PanAmWT

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by allenkeys
MODS - I reached the thread through search, and didn't notice until now it is in the pre-merger furum. Could this thread not be moved to the consolidated forum?

The reason for me asking is I will hit 1K on 7/31 and my return TATL is on 8/5. I am hoping to apply one of the GPU's to my return if I get them deposited in time.

I understand the logic of building up credentials on another carrier. However, I would likely have to do without the benefits such as priority check in, lounge access, prriority boarding, and of course E+ on UA so it kind of defeats the purpose. I could potentially request a status match to DL, or try the AA challenge, but am not sure I would retain status next year. Last year I only just achieved Plat on UA, and did nothing significant on other non *A carriers at that.
Your situation is different from those of us who have unused GPUs that will expire before the next bunch of GPSs are dumped on us. You want your GPU as soon as possible while we want our GPUs as late as possible. The GPUs are very difficult to use after CO took over UA. Many of ours just expire. But this summer the TATL flights are quite empty, so many R seats may be available to you. I think your chance of successeful upgrade is quite high. Good luck!