FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Cancellations Getting Insane
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:40 pm
ualp

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Has anyone thought to consider that rejecting a faulty aircraft that needs maintenance might actually be saving lives?
Also, would it not be expected that refusals would increase if mx staffing and parts inventories are not being maintained at adequate levels to accommodate the summer schedule?

Another EX:
Recently I was dispatched with an inop inertial system.
My plane has 3. We are "legal" to dispatch with one inop, however we lose our low vis autoland capability.
Mx says it's ok to dispatch. So, I guess I have no reason to refuse?

How about that we were scheduled to fly two legs in the aircraft, thru two airports notorious for low vis and rapidly changing wx?
Airports where that autoland capability might be required.
Also, one of the "good" inertial systems had a hit several days previous for being out of tolerance upon arrival.
Still think it's a good idea to take that plane?
Easy call. I refused it.
Job action? I don't think so!

Of course, a flight ops rep met us to "discuss" the situation.
When I showed him the mx paperwork and the planned airports we were to fly it to he also saw that it was a good call.
Just 'cause Mx says it's good to go doesn't necessarily mean that the aircraft is suitable for a particular leg.

We were at a major United hub, a base for my particular aircraft.
Should have been scheduled to be fixed immediately upon arrival. (Quick swap and diagnostic for this fix)
No parts in stock! Seriously???

We suggested they "rob" the part from a hangar bird, which they did.
Shouldn't have had to wait for US to make the call and then suggest the solution.
Mx should have been all over this one, given the importance of that system.
The line mechanics tell us they WANT to fix the planes.
They are not given the manpower, time, or parts to do the job they way they have in the past.

These are the decisions of mgt.
Didn't their recent announcement of better Jul/Aug performance include mention of better mx staffing? (Sorry, don't remember what thread it was in).
That would indicate that they have FINALLY realized that they grossly understaffed the operation.
Unfortunately it is too late to rectify the pain our pax have had to endure thus far.

The common solution now is "OK to defer" and dispatch the plane. Then the call falls on our shoulders.
This happens day in and day out, across the system.
Of course refusals would increase in this environment.
However, NOT an indicator of a job ACTION.
Just us doing our job, legally and SAFELY!