FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Americans are world's worst tourists, says new survey
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:32 am
janetdoe

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by slawecki
61% have been to a furn country...21% lost luggage. only fox news. they don't even know how to run a simple survey. i don't think you get to 61% if you count orlando as forn.
The actual stats in the article say 78% of Americans have been to a foreign country. It doesn't sound too implausible to me that 4 in 5 Americans have been to a foreign country. Texas and California (two very high population states) share borders with Mexico. New York shares a border with Canada. Florida is a short cheap hop to tons of Caribbean islands. That's 32% of the US population right there that have fairly trivial access to other countries. <shrug>

Then consider that SunCountry airlines opens up tons of cheap flights to the Caribbean and Mexico for midwesterners... I think you are underestimating the ease of cheap travel to beach/cruise destinations in North America.

As far as 4 foreign destinations... I think an average 7-day cruise would more than cover that number.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jun 7, 2012 at 8:40 am