Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Americans are world's worst tourists, says new survey

Ah, got to love stereotypes!

Americans are world's worst tourists, says new survey

According to a new survey carried out by LivingSocial and Mandala Research we seem to be. And worse, it was predominately Americans ranking their fellow countrymen.

Released Friday, the survey polled 5,600 respondents from five countries-- 4,000 of whom were Americans, says USA Today. Other respondents were in Australia, Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom.

The survey also revealed that four in 10 U.S. survey-takers said they'd stolen something ? mostly towels (28%) and bathrobes (8%). Other popular items taken included pillows, remote controls, Bibles and sheets. So we're not just rude when we travel, we're thieves.

The most common vacation disasters, according to American respondents, were: lost luggage on an airline (21%); bad weather (21%); and getting lost (16%).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Yea....a survey that contains predominantly Americans and then only other English speaking countries. Super representative. :P
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:20 am

clearly everyone forgot about the french...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:45 am

Ask a tour guide anywhere,and they all say the French are the worst.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
The last time I was in London, it seemed to be full of French people. If I had wanted to be with the French, I would have gone to France! (There may not really have been that many, but they were conspicuous.)

But I would have said that Germans were the worst tourists. They're noticeable even in Austria.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:53 am

Russians - OMG.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Ah, got to love ... SocialLiving and fox news

"According to the press release from SocialLiving, 78 percent of Americans have visited at least one foreign country, 61 percent have visited multiple countries, and 36 percent have traveled to four or more foreign destinations"

These statistics are utterly impossible, unless they are counting US states as other countries!! More than 1/3 have visited four or more foreign destinations?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

61% have been to a furn country...21% lost luggage. only fox news. they don't even know how to run a simple survey. i don't think you get to 61% if you count orlando as forn.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Released Friday, the survey polled 5,600 respondents from five countries-- 4,000 of whom were Americans, says USA Today. Other respondents were in Australia, Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom.
That's because Americans have been brainwashed for years - decades - by having it proclaimed as fact that they are the world's worst tourists.

No question that Canadians at least are pleased to back up that opinion and excited to plaster themselves with maple leaves to make sure the world knows they are not Americans. A tour guide recently told me he's had Canadians get angry with him for wrongly assuming they were Americans.

As a cross-section of citizens of other countries travel abroad, more similar to the American demographics of earlier years, we'll find there are lots of new contenders for the "world's worst tourists nationality" title.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by slawecki
61% have been to a furn country...21% lost luggage. only fox news. they don't even know how to run a simple survey. i don't think you get to 61% if you count orlando as forn.
The actual stats in the article say 78% of Americans have been to a foreign country. It doesn't sound too implausible to me that 4 in 5 Americans have been to a foreign country. Texas and California (two very high population states) share borders with Mexico. New York shares a border with Canada. Florida is a short cheap hop to tons of Caribbean islands. That's 32% of the US population right there that have fairly trivial access to other countries. <shrug>

Then consider that SunCountry airlines opens up tons of cheap flights to the Caribbean and Mexico for midwesterners... I think you are underestimating the ease of cheap travel to beach/cruise destinations in North America.

As far as 4 foreign destinations... I think an average 7-day cruise would more than cover that number.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jun 7, 2012 at 8:40 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The last time I was in London, it seemed to be full of French people. If I had wanted to be with the French, I would have gone to France! (There may not really have been that many, but they were conspicuous.)

But I would have said that Germans were the worst tourists. They're noticeable even in Austria.
I'm assuming, like you, they were there (as tourists) to see London...happens all the time!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by djm3
"According to the press release from SocialLiving, 78 percent of Americans have visited at least one foreign country, 61 percent have visited multiple countries, and 36 percent have traveled to four or more foreign destinations"

These statistics are utterly impossible, unless they are counting US states as other countries!! More than 1/3 have visited four or more foreign destinations?
Depends on how you define 'visit'.

I've met folks who collect passport stamps and consider it a 'visit' if they do a same-day airport turn and exit/re-enter customs just to get the passport stamp.

I've met folks who consider a day-trip across the Mexican or Canadian border a 'visit' (and so does CBP, for that matter).

Cruise ship passengers also drive the numbers up. I don't really consider a day trip from a cruise ship much of a 'visit', but many others do.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:34 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theFallen
clearly everyone forgot about the french...
Originally Posted by Sarcee
Ask a tour guide anywhere,and they all say the French are the worst.
why do you guys feel the French are the worst tourists?

As an American who has been abroad a bit, I can see Americans being voted worst as it seems to me that many want a US travel experience when visiting a different country, rather than accepting the culture/tradition/food of where they are traveling to. Where's McDonald's? Where's Mickey Mouse? How come these locals don't speak English? etc etc
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

As an American who has been abroad a bit, I can see Americans being voted worst as it seems to me that many want a US travel experience when visiting a different country, rather than accepting the culture/tradition/food of where they are traveling to. Where's McDonald's? Where's Mickey Mouse? How come these locals don't speak English? etc etc
Moi, je ne sais pas pourquoi.

I do think any time there are enough tourists of a particular nationality or group the locals tend to make generalizations, whether fair or unfair.

We live near the Canadian border and US residents sometimes even write letters to the local papers or comment on blogs about the terrible driving and the nuisance of the Canadians.

For that matter, I've heard residents of Colorado complain about the Texans, and people in various states disparage "California drivers."

In contrast, has anybody heard wide-scale complaints about the behavior of Liechtensteiner tourists? No, I didn't think so.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

+1

I've encountered the good, the bad and the ugly from every nationality, but overall, the Americans seem more prone to trying to dominate everything - they want 'American' food (usually McD's, pizza and American-style Mexican), English translations on menus, good local command of the English language, and to export their views on tipping.

IME, Americans are much more likely to judge ("these brats aren't as good (in Germany) as the hotdogs we get back home because there's no onions", "I'm going to tip the way we do in America because we're not cheap in America") instead of observing differences ("wow - fresh tomatoes and cucumbers on the breakfast buffet", "what do locals consider a generous tip?").

And they judge LOUDLY, as though everyone else is stupid for not speaking American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.