FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best award New York suite for 40th Birthday
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:30 pm
Radiant Flyer
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Agree with your Andaz comment the Andaz Wall Street has redefined large corner rooms as suites, my last two Diamond Suite Upgrades at this hotel have been disappointing and the service poor. (review to come shortly) NYC has a lot to offer so most likely you will spend most of your time NOT IN THE HOTEL. To me spending all these points for a suite in which you will most likely be disappointed in is a waste. Perhaps you may consider making a reservation for 1 or 2 rooms and choose the eStanby upgrade, in August hotels in NYC are not full and rates low, the heat keeps most people away. You have a good chance of an upgrade at minimal cost.

I did this last year, I also called the Andaz 24 hours before arrival and told the host I was coming to celebrate a special occasion. When I checked in I was given a Extra Large Suite and a nice welcome amenity.

As a Platinum I think your best bet would be the Grand since they do have a large selection of room type upgrades, the new Grand Club is also pretty nice. (They even have a special platinum check in desk as well). You are going to be in NYC save your money and points, go out and enjoy the city... the city has a tons of places to celebrate that can offer a more memorable experience than a suite at a Hyatt. If you were planning to spend most of your time in the room during the dead of winter then the effort for a suite is might be worth it.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yeah, thanks, I clearly misinterpreted the post.

And Peter and suspire are right, only their comments apply to both Andazes. They have defined a non-suite category to be a suite so they can stick upgraders in them (among other reasons). The room you are likely to get has a king bed and a couch, it won't be the 2BR suite. Maybe they can put in a rollaway, but given the architecture of the room, even that may present challenges.

The Hyatt 48Lex 'suite' is even smaller at about 500 sqft, it's not suitable either.

The GH has a larger number of true suites, but you'd still have to call and negotiate.

Manhattan is currently a lousy place to use Hyatt points.