Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best award New York suite for 40th Birthday

Old May 31, 12, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver

Hi FT friends,

I'm wanting to book a hotel in Manhattan mid August from Friday to Monday (3 nights) for my 40th and I'm trying to get a suite for me and my 3 guy friends. I understand I can book suites for 33K GP points. Which hotel would have availability this late in the game?

Do any of the suites have two king beds?

Can I book those suites with 33K passport points?

Am Hyatt Plat

thank you,
Simon

PS - I have Hilton points/Goldstatus as well. Can I use Hilton points for suites in Manhattan?
Old May 31, 12, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the cheapest regular room in NYC (other than possibly at a Hyatt Place) is 15,000 points a night at the Hyatt 48 Lex. So 33,000 points isn't enough points to even get a regular room for 3 nights.

Looks like the minimum suite cost is 23,000 points at the same hotel, with a minimum 3 night reservation. That would require 69,000 points.

Even worse, the Grand Hyatt and the Andaz hotels cost more points per night. They also have the 3 night minimum requirement for getting a suite.

So I guess the answer top your question is no, you can't, because you don't have enough points.
Old May 31, 12, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'd guess that Andaz 5th Ave is probably your best choice, with 2 bedroom suites.
I assume you're talking 33K points/night.

I'd call them directly to answer your questions.
Old May 31, 12, 3:06 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
I think OP has more than 33K points, but was just asking whether it was possible to book suites for 33K points.

With 33K points, you can book a suite at any hyatt worldwide for one night (as long as they have availability).

For the top hyatts in NYC, there are 3 cat 6s - GH @ grand central, andaz by bryant park and andaz wall st.

I'd definitely go for either the andaz in midtown or GH for location's sake. There's nothing really to do that far downtown in manhattan (apart from see wall st, ground zero, statue of liberty).

Between GH and Andaz, I never stayed at suites in either, but I do recall GH being much "grander" and old style. Rooms are also larger. I liked Andaz's dining options and sleek look, but it probably suits business purposes better.
Old May 31, 12, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Midtown is what I'm shooting for; Andaz 5th ave - 3nights in a suite for 99K.

Are there other, better, suites available for point redemption in Manhattan?

Is availability going to be a problem for Andaz 5th ave suites?
Old May 31, 12, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Well one good way to find out about availability would be to try to actually book it!

If you don't have enough points in your account yet, call GP; I've found their reps to be very helpful.

Be somewhat cautious, in that many 33K suites are going to be junior suites, not necessarily with two bedrooms.

I have stayed at GH a few times and remember the rooms being on the small side - I hope Andaz isn't even smaller; I'm staying there two nights in early August.
Old May 31, 12, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Be somewhat cautious, in that many 33K suites are going to be junior suites, not necessarily with two bedrooms.
That would be my concern and why I'd call the hotel directly.
Old May 31, 12, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Spoke with Hyatt booking rep. He said all award suites are junior or standard size, meaning 450-550 sq ft. Not really that large.
Old May 31, 12, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
Originally Posted by DeltaSilverBoy View Post
Spoke with Hyatt booking rep. He said all award suites are junior or standard size, meaning 450-550 sq ft. Not really that large.
For 3 guys, it might be a little small, though I find it large enough for my girlfriend and I. The bigger problem is that the standard suite at Andaz does not have two bedrooms--they are the "junior suites".

Still--what you can do is book for suites for all three nights, then talk to a Guest Services Host or the Director of Rooms about getting upgraded to a two bedroom suite for a bit extra.

I was offered an upsell via email once for the Splash Suite for an $100 per night on a paid stay where I used a Diamond suite upgrade.
Old May 31, 12, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by suspire View Post
For 3 guys, it might be a little small, though I find it large enough for my girlfriend and I. The bigger problem is that the standard suite at Andaz does not have two bedrooms--they are the "junior suites".

Still--what you can do is book for suites for all three nights, then talk to a Guest Services Host or the Director of Rooms about getting upgraded to a two bedroom suite for a bit extra.

I was offered an upsell via email once for the Splash Suite for an $100 per night on a paid stay where I used a Diamond suite upgrade.
Yes, that's why I recommended calling the property directly. They could probably tell the OP the exact upcharge for a 2 BR suite.

DeltaSilverBoy, I don't know if you've gone to Andaz 5th's website but they list all room sizes and amenities. I'd think that your best option is getting a 2BR suite.
Old May 31, 12, 6:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bouncingbug View Post
With 33K points, you can book a suite at any hyatt worldwide for one night (as long as they have availability).

For the top hyatts in NYC, there are 3 cat 6s - GH @ grand central, andaz by bryant park and andaz wall st.
Award bookings in suites are for a minimum of 3 nights - so you need 99,000 points.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Yes, that's why I recommended calling the property directly. They could probably tell the OP the exact upcharge for a 2 BR suite.

DeltaSilverBoy, I don't know if you've gone to Andaz 5th's website but they list all room sizes and amenities. I'd think that your best option is getting a 2BR suite.
Andaz 5th Ave has 2 of the 2 BR suites - if available the upcharge is $250 / night (from a revenue stay that was confirmed in the entry suite using a Diamond upgrade cert) - so not sure if they'd be willing to do the same upcharge on an award booking - see http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...g-in-new-york/ .
Old May 31, 12, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bouncingbug View Post
I think OP has more than 33K points, but was just asking whether it was possible to book suites for 33K points....
Yeah, thanks, I clearly misinterpreted the post.

And Peter and suspire are right, only their comments apply to both Andazes. They have defined a non-suite category to be a suite so they can stick upgraders in them (among other reasons). The room you are likely to get has a king bed and a couch, it won't be the 2BR suite. Maybe they can put in a rollaway, but given the architecture of the room, even that may present challenges.

The Hyatt 48Lex 'suite' is even smaller at about 500 sqft, it's not suitable either.

The GH has a larger number of true suites, but you'd still have to call and negotiate.

Manhattan is currently a lousy place to use Hyatt points.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 1, 12 at 12:03 am
Old Jun 2, 12, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Agree with your Andaz comment the Andaz Wall Street has redefined large corner rooms as suites, my last two Diamond Suite Upgrades at this hotel have been disappointing and the service poor. (review to come shortly) NYC has a lot to offer so most likely you will spend most of your time NOT IN THE HOTEL. To me spending all these points for a suite in which you will most likely be disappointed in is a waste. Perhaps you may consider making a reservation for 1 or 2 rooms and choose the eStanby upgrade, in August hotels in NYC are not full and rates low, the heat keeps most people away. You have a good chance of an upgrade at minimal cost.

I did this last year, I also called the Andaz 24 hours before arrival and told the host I was coming to celebrate a special occasion. When I checked in I was given a Extra Large Suite and a nice welcome amenity.

As a Platinum I think your best bet would be the Grand since they do have a large selection of room type upgrades, the new Grand Club is also pretty nice. (They even have a special platinum check in desk as well). You are going to be in NYC save your money and points, go out and enjoy the city... the city has a tons of places to celebrate that can offer a more memorable experience than a suite at a Hyatt. If you were planning to spend most of your time in the room during the dead of winter then the effort for a suite is might be worth it.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Yeah, thanks, I clearly misinterpreted the post.

And Peter and suspire are right, only their comments apply to both Andazes. They have defined a non-suite category to be a suite so they can stick upgraders in them (among other reasons). The room you are likely to get has a king bed and a couch, it won't be the 2BR suite. Maybe they can put in a rollaway, but given the architecture of the room, even that may present challenges.

The Hyatt 48Lex 'suite' is even smaller at about 500 sqft, it's not suitable either.

The GH has a larger number of true suites, but you'd still have to call and negotiate.

Manhattan is currently a lousy place to use Hyatt points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: