FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most dangerous thing you have done while traveling?
Old May 25, 2012, 11:29 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got lost on Camelback Mountain in Phoenix while hiking a few years ago. My friend and I followed the trail up (the one starting on Cholla Lane) but due to us starting later than planned and dawdling at the top enjoying the sunset, we got lost on the way down. We eventually wandered off the trail and found ourselves on the actual mountain face on the south side. So stumbling around in the dark, often sliding down on our butts because it was so steep we finally blundered our way into a neighborhood a couple of miles from where our car was.

We eventually found a lit house, knocked on the door, told our story and the nice residents drove us home to our car. I still remember the woman saying "you guys want some water? No, how about VODKA??! Bet you need that!" Absolutely terrifying experience, we saw a desert cat, and heard a rattlesnake. When I put my foot down near it and heard that rattling my friend said "is that you?" and I said "no, that's a snake, RUN!" and run we did!

Thankfully, now we can laugh about it.