Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most dangerous thing you have done while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Anyone enjoying reading this thread should check out "The Vice Guide to Travel"
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

* Travelling through Croatia in 1993 and being shelled....
*...and later in 1993 travelling through what is now Serbia and being - nicely - relieved of a large chunk of cash at gunpoint by 3 policemen
* Getting in a row with a Moroccan border guard and being punched for arguing with him
* A low speed car accident in Saudi and ending up in jail for 8 hours (not dangerous, just rather off-putting)
* having a valve jam in my scuba gear and going out of air in Mexico
* car and bus journeys in many countries where frankly the driving standards were appalling
* attempted mugging at knife point in Barcelona..and being sufficient drunk to run rather than co-operate
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Well, i was misreading a map and wandered into a jail in Italy and was immediately surrounded by policemen.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Snorkeling with pilot whales off Kona, Capt warned us about the "rare" chance we might see "white tip sharks" with the pod. I'm terrified of sharks, but figure this is my chance to face my fear (some fears, apparently don't need to be faced), and when he said "white tip sharks" I took that to mean the common Caribbean White Tip which is fairly docile.

I'm the last in the water and the next thing I hear is the Capt screaming "look behind you, behind you!" and I spin around to see a shark coming right at me - when I stared him down (for a moment), he turned away and I went right up the dive ladder like I had wings.

So, after that fiasco, off we go to find another pod of whales to snorkel around - and now I have a choice about getting into the water or not. I realize that if I don't get back in, I never will - so in I go, and sure enough - another shark is waiting. Thankfully this one stays at the other side of the boat watching us curiously and doesn't come close.

Only after I got home and Googled "oceanic white tip shark" did I realize I voluntarily hopped in the water with one the most aggressive and violent sharks in the ocean. As I said, some fears are not meant to be faced
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:49 am

Out-of-air while scuba diving. More than once. I am a slow learner.

Rappelling off the peak of the Grand Teton in an ice storm. I went down first to clear the ropes. Left my boys, then 11 and 13 to follow me down. We had only one climbing rig for the three of us. I couldn't untie the knots because my fingers were frozen. Finally pried it open with my car key. Sent the rig back up on the belay rope. Then I waited. And waited.

No way I could back-climb to see why my boys weren't coming down. Everything was coated with ice. Finally the static rope began to twitch. My boys at last! Not quite. A perfect stranger using our rappel. Two climbers who had come up a different route were caught in the storm. My guys offered them our rope.

When my boys finally came down, my fingers were too stiff to strangle them, so I had to settle for a hug.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Out-of-air while scuba diving. More than once. I am a slow learner.
I had this happen on my fourth dive ever...despite signaling the divemaster at half tank, 1000, 500, 300.....and he just continued....uh hello, when someone's not yet certified ya think MAYBE you should take them to the surface?

For this reason, I still have issues with always panicking I'm running low.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Long time lurker, first time poster.

In 1999, I found myself in the middle of the largest student strike ever in Mexico City. UNAM was shut down for many months and the kids took control of the university grounds. I was attacked by a rabid dog and needed a tetanus shot and then I attempted to collect a debt from a local and was promptly carted away by the fuzz. It took 8 days for the locals and feds to discover that I was not from Mexico.

Anyway, the kids were great. I slept in the veterinary stalls covered in hay.

I was in Bangkok in 2009. Nice and hot. Great food but crazy taxi drivers. I speak some Thai but the driver had no clue. The first guy took us to the wrong train station. On the return, the second guy had no idea how to get back to the hotel. To make matters worse, he had KILLER tattooed on his hand. I am still around to offer advice but it makes one think why cabbies worldwide are morons. GPS anyone? I have been in taxis on 4 continents and Asia is by far the worst in customer service and driving skill.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:46 pm

I'm seeing a diving theme here.

Perhaps we need a FT dive excursion. I've never run out of air and I make a great dive partner. I share air, I've dragged someone back down for a safety stop, and I pet sharks. (just nurse sharks but I've hung out with some awesome reef sharks)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver

KM123......one day we will all get round to one big FT dive trip. Have to be a diver friendly airline though ;-)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by divingdancer
Most dangerous thing done on holiday.........I think you had better get yourselves a drink and sit down.

As you can tell by my log in name I love scuba diving. A few years ago I was on holiday in Sicily with some friends and business partners who were diving instructors. We were boat diving on a daily basis and soaking up the sun.

One day, Guiseppe the dive boat owner took us for a drift dive. We all rolled into the clear blue water of the Med and set off.

Now I should point out that for a scuba diver I don't DO enclosed spaces. No caves, tunnels, etc. I like to know that if I need to get to the surface that there is nothing in my way.

We passed numerous caves during the week, which everyone else explored and I stayed outside where I was 'safe'.

On the day of the drift dive, suddenly a very very strong current came along and swept the whole party towards some underwater rocks. It was a really strong current (the fish looked as if they were swimming backwards!!). We grabbed onto the rocks and were flapping in the current.

Guiseppe got into a cave and pulled everyone else in with him. They dragged me in last. I could feel the panic rising in me. It was clear from the cave entrance that there was no going back out there.

Normally, when diving I carry a torch. Not today. I was not expecting to be anywhere dark. (stupid really as I had NEVER dived without my torch or strobe) OMG it was dark. As the dive guide went to explore the cave he disappeared from sight. I should point out at the moment that Guiseppe is a very fit and rather handsome Italian with 'come to bed' eyes.........

My partners encouraged me to follow Guiseppe. Hell, my heart beat was so fast and my stomach churned like mad. I'm telling myself to calm down and preserve my air. Slow down your breathing......the air will last longer.

Off we go to the back of the cave, it gets worse. The cave leads to an underwater 'chimney' and I was shoved along the chimney by my buddies, following old blue eyes. Off the chimney was a tunnel......F*** don't these guys remember I don't do enclosed spaces.....?????

The tunnel was a long tunnel, just large enough for a diver to swim through (remember the cylinder on my back) and I'm following Guiseppe trying to breathe slowly and repeating in my head...."I am NOT going to ****ing well die, I AM going to see my kids again" over and over. (and over and over).

By this point it seemed as though we had been diving for hours.....with the cold, the fear and the heavy breathing I was getting very fatigued.

Suddenly, light ahead......Guiseppe had brought us out further along the crop of rocks. Boy was I relieved to see sunlight.....then followed an underwater 'yoga' session with old blue eyes looking at me....(swooooooon) and helping to calm my breathing. He signalled to look into his eyes and breathe in and out slowly.

We still had a fair swim to the boat which gave my dive buddies chance to practice their 'rescue towing' of a diver (me!) and when we got back on the boat they put the oxygen on me for a while and wrapped me up. I fell asleep.

I had no physical after effects other than being shattered, and I still will not dive and swim in caves or enclosed spaces but I did survive and had a great story to tell the kids when I got home.

Thanks for sharing your story. You clearly remember every detail like it was yesterday and give real meaning to light at the end of the tunnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.