FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".
Old May 23, 2012, 10:06 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Please, you are doing a disservice to the FT community and the random few others who may stumble in here.
The above post is speaking to itself.

If YOUR experience is worse than last year, I'll buy that and continue to hope it gets better for you.
It won't this year.

But please don't take your experience and try and extrapolate that to the experience of all UA elites.
If only the above were relevant, but it isn't relevant to this thread. The objective conclusion I've communicated about UA failing 1ks goes well beyond being merely derived from one individual's experiences.

Sell the stock short today then. Let us know how much money you make when they announce next quarters results.
Familiar with "short-term gains costing long-term returns" and with the limited returns from simple open short positions? Those with a true clue about finance and the operations of public companies wouldn't suggest what was suggested in the above post absent some hedging.

Per Mr. Rainey's comments, I believe a gradual decline in revenue is a part of their plan. Capacity has gone down 6% since 2006. China market currently has 'too much capacity', and we should expect to see reductions.

The new United does not want to chase market share and revenue.

They want to be a profitable, viable airline and are making the changes required to achieve this objective.
Can COdbaUA really afford much of a decline in revenue without ending up in bankruptcy yet again? Don't confuse pursuing an increase in revenue with a decline in revenue.

Capacity can be cut in some ways without corresponding revenue declines, and that's more of what COdbaUA seeks than what LarkSFO's post is trying to suggest.