FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".
Old May 23, 2012, 7:29 am
majortom

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So let me get this straight - after 25 years I finally achieve 1K status only to find that in 2012:

(1) The dedicated 1K line is gone and I now get agents in Manila or (shudder) ICC

Originally Posted by star_world
Actually, completely correct. While it may be the case that my hold time as a 1K is shorter, I am no longer getting a dedicated 1K agent. Since the transition, I routinely get overseas agents, and others who have nowhere near the skills or autonomy that 1K agents had.

(2) The dedicated 1K checkin line is gone

Not correct. At the majority of airports with a big UA presence I've flown out of in the last month (ORD, EWR, FRA, LHR) there is a Premier Access queue for Silver / Gold members, a separate one for Plat / 1K / BF and a further one for GS / GF. Isn't this sufficient?
While you say it is not correct, your own statement says it is. Premier Platinum are not 1Ks. At many airports, Premier Gold, Premier Platinum and 1Ks all queue together. So, answering your question, no it is not sufficient.

(3) The dedicated 1K security checkpoint is gone (at least at SFO)

Some of them do seem to be gone, but the signage that is being put up in many of the US hubs is in line with the split for checkin above - Plat / 1K / BF will be treated separately.
So again, based on your own statements, correct.

(4) Priority 1K boarding is gone

No it's not. That's what Group 1 is for (along with C / F)
United's boarding process left the Red Carpet for 1K/GS/F exclusively. That meant that I could walk up at anytime after the 1K/GS/F passengers were called and not have to wait to board. With Continental's process all over-entitlted elites board on the blue carpet, meaning that there is no clear lane for me when I arrive late.

(5) Companion upgrades are pretty much shot unless you can clear them with a RPU/SWU - and your record may well get involuntarily split, relegating your companion to E- purgatory or worse

Not if they are handled correctly. I agree that the process is a mess, but it's certainly possible for companion upgrades to work correctly even with the current implementation if the agents know what they're doing.
So at best, sometimes they can still be made to work, but it is not a given. When they do not work, they can create other disastrous consequences (e.g. E- for companions).

There are plenty of things to be frustrated about with UA including what you list above, as you can see.
Fixed it for you.