FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".
Old May 21, 2012, 4:08 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
No question reading Shannon's post that it's all about Gold & above these days. However, I'd take her to task on the idea that a Gold is better off now than last year. 50% RDM vs 100% alone is a pretty big hit, and I never had issues in the past obtaining E+ seats (except once or twice during irrops).

I feel for anyone thinking there's a point to Silver these days. United, and most other airlines, are teaching people to paddle (Kayak). The possible downside (to COdbaUA) for strapping the Silvers to the wing is that Golds & Plats & 1Ks aren't typically born that way; the first 49,999 miles are either in back or benefits purchased a la carte.

COdbaUA likely thinks that makes sense, as long as you can buy your way out, a la carte. Trouble is, a lot of businesses won't pay for a la carte options for their traveling employees, so the more carefully you align your pay-for programs with what people actually use, the more you alienate the <49,999 mile business person.
Or that a Silver will always remain such.

I was a 1K at one point. Dropped to a silver for a couple years as I wasn't traveling much, and now I'm back to traveling again. I'll hit 50K no problem and probably 75k. How much of that business is UA going to get? Well last year, it probably would have been all of it. This year: It all goes to US except when they don't go where I need to go. Needless to say, I only have 1 international trip planned on UA this year and that's only because I HAVE to fly them due to policy. Not happy it ended up being on a Z/D ticket too. The only redeeming thing about it is I could upgrade to F and credit it to another *A carrier.

Anyone have a screen for a t-shirt for Former Over-entitled UA customer?

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
UA Insider aka Shannon said this on the very thread you're posting on, which forms the basis for the whole post, essentially.

Whether you choose to believe this or not, up to you. IMO, from a C level exec there is little difference between forcing more silvers to pay for E+ and forcing more pax in general to pay for F upgrades. FAPP they are both "over-entitlement corrections" in the same vein. And I'll bet they make more cash from TOD upgrades than they do from E+ sells to Silvers.
No, but it sounds better that they're picking on the Silvers rather than admitting they're screwing 1Ks.

Infinity, it seems. I wish my two Y trips in B fare class had turned out better from an UG standpoint ... although to be fair one was on the dreaded SFO-IAD.
I also found it funny that Y/B is good enough for a 2P to sit in F but not good enough to get them into E+. UA had the gall to try to upsell E+ to me on a $5800 international Y fare to ICN.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reason: merge